Looking for a great hatchery, best deal at the best price!

stephensc7146

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 4, 2012
Southeastern, Ohio
I have 15 barred rocks from a straight run bin from Tractor Supply. I want to have a backup plan in case I have too many roos to keep. (I can only have one, and my boyfriend has room for 2 more.) With the odds against me, I know that a plan B needs to be in place to make up for the hens that I want to have. Im looking for a hatchery that will provide me with the best prices, and the best quality. I would like to know what hatcheries any of you use that you have had excellent experiences with, along with price and quality of chickens. If anyone could please help me out, I don't want to have a bad experience with buying chicks from a hatchery because i'm new and clueless to all of this. Let me know what you all think! It will be more appreciated than you would ever know!

I recommend Ideal Poultry. They have very affordable prices and their birds are pretty good quality. My cockerels from them turned out rather nicely, and I have seen beautiful pictures of some of the pullets they sell. Their $25 minimum order price is a good system.

Privett hatchery sells nice bantams (based on the ones they sold my local feedstore), but I'm not sure about their large fowl.

God bless,
~Gresh~

Don't buy from Meyer... They seem to have good prices on chicks but the quality of the chicks are horrilble (atleast when I got chicks from them) I bought 28 from Meyer last October and almost half died within first 2 weeks the most of the rest are not growing right...

I just got a 46 chicks from McMurray like a week ago, there prices are abit high but you get what you pay for and so far no deaths, they are all very healthy.

Every hatchery will have BYC folks that think it's wonderful - and other BYC people that think it's the pits. I've had great results from Meyer - and my chickens are beautiful quality. I've received tremendous service via the phone and also online. They have a 3 chick minimum - and you can choose all pullets.

Ideal Poultry sell chicks at affordable prices and they have a $25 price minimum on orders but they don't have a chick order minimum as you can order as many chicks as you want at affordable prices. I've ordered 20 D'Uccle chicks from them for the 4/18/12 hatch date and they should be shipped soon. I'd recommend Ideal Poultry to anyone if they are looking to buy some chicks.

I checked out the ideal poultry site, I usually don't have trouble with websites, but that one drove me nuts trying to work my way around it. Im not saying i'll give up on it, I just gotta figure it out. I'm torn between meyer now.. I do believe in you get what you pay for. What is the shipping prices like on meyer and ideal?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom