Looking for advice on how to respond to cockerel's "dance?"

Pics

Fluster Cluck Acres

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Mar 26, 2020
Frederick, MD
I've read lots of threads and articles on here about the rooster dance, and about what kinds of behaviors should and should not be tolerated. My question is- how to respond to these behaviors. This is only my 2nd time raising roosters so I'm very much a novice.

In particular, one my three-month old cockerels has started dancing for me. I don't know if he's flirting with or threatening me, but all-in-all I think both of those behaviors could lead to aggression. He's never shown aggression, but he's just coming in to his own, and I think it's entirely possible. What should I do when he dances for me? Ignore him? Move into his space and make him back down? Show dominance by picking him up or smooshing him?

I also read in one of the articles about not letting him eat with the hens when you're around and/or feeding him his treats last. How do you react if he's barging in and trying to take the treats/feed?

Edited to add this question- this same cockerel comes into the coop while I'm in there, and goes into nesting behavior. I think he's encouraging me to lay an egg, which I also think is a sign he sees himself as dominant over me. Should I deter this beahvior as well?

Lastly, how much insubordination do you put up with before you determine a rooster isn't going to work out? I've heard some people say the first time the rooster attacks, it's done. Other people seem more dedicated to training. I'm happy to put in some time and effort, but I can also afford to be selective since I have several young roos at this moment. This particular cockerel, who is the more dominant one, is staying only because he's the most handsome- but I'll take personality over looks any day!

I really not a big believer in training. Or training at this late date. I think once you have the problem, it is too late. They have a very small brain, but how much time do you want to spend in the coop training him? This is not a one and done deal. He does not have a strong respect for humans, and do not see him getting it to the level where you can trust him behind you or with others.

I have had numerous roosters. I like good roosters. Not every rooster is a great rooster. Last year, I had Bye- the ugliest rooster, but absolutely the best all around rooster traits. I was raising up a piece of eye candy...that just looked at me wrong, and I kept Bye.

A lot of people, tend to hesitate with culling the first rotten roosters way too long. Most people seem to have almost a sense of guilt when it comes to roosters, they often mistakenly believe that it must of been something they did, or didn't do that now they have a problem. If they acted differently, wore different colors, did not move fast or slow or...he would be nice.

I do not feel uncomfortable with dispatching a bird. it is one bad moment in what has been a dang good life. There are a lot of roosters. Some are a joy to have and others you can never trust. As this is your second rooster, I am thinking that with experience you are picking up cues that he is getting more and more aggressive.

Personally, I would not keep him. I like having chickens, I have no interest in being attacked for any reason. As my mother used to tell me when I was a young girl going out into the world, "No one is that damn good looking!" Meaning actions were more important that looks.

Mrs K

I would wait and see, since at the moment he is not being actually aggressive. Roosters can really change a lot, and it can be hard to predict.

The "that's it" moment is different for everyone. I wouldn't be able to keep a rooster I don't 100% trust because I am not willing to put my kids at risk, so mine comes pretty quick. Not sure what your situation is, but I am sure if that moment comes you will know it (it is probably if you start dreading going to your coop, or something similar).

We call that the sexy chicken dance and my response is to laugh and tell him "yes, you are a very pretty boy today". Lol

In my opinion, dancing is not correlated with aggression. It's just that in aggressive cockerels they show up around the same time because both are linked to puberty/testosterone. Some roosters do the sexy chicken dance and are not aggressive.

I also read in one of the articles about not letting him eat with the hens when you're around and/or feeding him his treats last. How do you react if he's barging in and trying to take the treats/feed?
Where did you read this? Cause I've read the exact opposite, and that's what I do with my roosters.

I doubt he is flirting or showing you where to lay. Most likely he is being territorial and warning you not to get too close to the girls or their nest boxes.

What works best for me is to totally ignore them when they are young cockerels. I literally pretend as if they don't even exist. If you give him any special attention, positive or negative, you may be inadvertently reinforcing or inciting his actions. Once it sinks in that I'm not going to either acknowledge or be affected by their behaviors they often just naturally extinguish over time.

It's good that you have several to choose from. Just keep observing their behaviors and don't let yourself be fooled by pretty feathers. I always pick one that calmly moves out of the way and stays out of my way, not ones that either run away or those that insistently follow or crowd me.

I am the giant who brings food, not a flock member. I walk through the flock, and expect everyone to move out of my path. The cockerels and roosters have work to do, watching out for their flock, caring for them, and getting out of my way.
I agree with @Mrs. K that this may not be a keeper, and also I'd ignore him, walk through him, and be ready to have him at the top of the cull list. He should be dancing for the ladies, not you!
Mary

Last edited:
Where did you read this? Cause I've read the exact opposite, and that's what I do with my roosters.
I can’t recall exactly but I think it was one of the rooster behavior articles here in BYC. There’s always contradictory ideas, because I’ve also read to feed the rooster first as he shows submission when he takes food from you.

But I think the part about not letting him eat around you might have been more in reference to just eating the general feed that’s available. It was a same article that said if he mates a hen in your presence, you should chase him off to show your dominance… so many different ideas…

Back
Top Bottom