Looking for advice on how to respond to cockerel's "dance?"

Pics
On a side note, my happy lil baby rooster man, at 10.5 weeks. I haven't seen him shuffle yet, but I do hear him crow and attempt to mount his pullets.
20230704_084017.jpg

Oh, but they love to watch him STRUT! ❤️
20230704_083845.jpg

He’s handsome! Glad he’s mellowing out.
Yes, me too. He backs way up whenever I approach, so that's good.

The four babies are just starting to learn about the whole treat thing we do. I make a certain noise when I bring out the mealworms and toss them into the run, so all the 1yo hens know the drill, and I can call them in pretty effectively just by making the noise. The babies are just learning that mealworms are something they want, and that I have them. 🤔 It helps that one is the most people curious, so she comes out first always to investigate and has no problem coming to me for mealworms, the others are slower to follow. They have started to come over closer to me and eat out of the bowl, but I don't want to rush and to grab them immediately, just letting them enjoy the treat near me, and work on following me. So for now, they are easy enough to chase into the coop, and then if I want them moved out into the run, I can pick them up from there, since they are not connected. But I can still literally scoop all four chicks up in my arms and carry them at once. lol Like babies.

I am waiting for the day when he helps me rustle the girls in! 😅

I just came across this video which seems to refute the assumption that this dance is always aggressive. In fact, this seems to imply the exact opposite. Chickens are very sensitive animals and I think we need to be careful about projecting. Obviously the chicken dance is an expression of emotion, but perhaps it can be both positive or negative depending on the circumstance.

I just came across this video which seems to refute the assumption that this dance is always aggressive. In fact, this seems to imply the exact opposite. Chickens are very sensitive animals and I think we need to be careful about projecting. Obviously the chicken dance is an expression of emotion, but perhaps it can be both positive or negative depending on the circumstance.
My Roo, Simon does this happy dance every time I pet him or give him a tasty treat. He's super sweet.

Back
Top Bottom