Looking for Broiler chicks

Songster
6 Years
Jan 5, 2015
Hello!
I live in California in the SF bay area and am looking for a place to buy broiler chicks (preferably Cornish cross). The only aces I can find are California hatery and places like it, but I'd rather buy from someone local. Anyone know of a humane place to get broiler chicks?
Thanks!

I don’t think you are going to find a backyard breeder of CX. Since they are the result of two crosses that means a breeder has to keep at minimum 3 different breeder pens (7 if they also breed the “grandparents”). To make it all worth it they have to do the whole thing large scale and more industrial in nature.

So a hatchery is going to be your only choice for CX. I believe Meyer ships them free if you order at least 25.

Oh okay. Thanks. This is my first time with broilers so I didn't realize that. Do you know if freedom runners are the same way? If so I guess I'll have to go the hatchery route. Thanks for the info

Hello!
I live in California in the SF bay area and am looking for a place to buy broiler chicks (preferably Cornish cross). The only aces I can find are California hatery and places like it, but I'd rather buy from someone local. Anyone know of a humane place to get broiler chicks?
Thanks!
Check Craigslist and Facebook, for someone maybe selling/hatching them.
We have a local sorta farmers market that carries all sorts of poultry, yes they are shipped to them, but at least they are dayS old, alive, etc.
TSC also carries them, also shipped but you can pick out lively one's and sometimes if they don't sell quick you see deals on week or more old chicks that they have paid $$ to feed on sale for half price or less.
If you get shipped, I noticed, like 'lomine' said above, Meyer hatchery has free shipping on them for 25 or more. Cheapest I'm not sure which if you figure Meyer free shipping, Meyer is $2.25ea st run, Schlecht hatchery is $1.25ea, not sure the cost of shipping for them, have to call them to order.

Another option if you want to hatch your own, Dunlap hatchery sells Cornish X hatching eggs the cheapest I've seen, was .95cents, now I see they are a $1. Their website has changed, a mess right now, was $14 shipping on first dz, $3 dz after that, not sure now hard to navigate their website with the change and I don't see it.
Hatching eggs is a gamble though.

If you get shipped, closer the better.

Good luck!

I don’t know if you’ll find a breeder for a freedom ranger. I believe they are also hybrids so I don’t know if they breed true. You may be able to find someone who breeds duel purpose or heritage breed chickens meant for meat. Just know they will take much longer to get to butcher weight. You may want to ask on your state thread.

Good point about the price per bird versus shipping cost. I didn’t think about that. When I did CX I only ordered a few along with some layer chicks. Meyer had the layers I wanted so that’s why I knew about their deal.

Oh okay. Thanks. This is my first time with broilers so I didn't realize that. Do you know if Freedom rangers are the same way? If so I guess I'll have to go the hatchery route. Thanks for the info

I don’t know if you’ll find a breeder for a Freedom Ranger. I believe they are also hybrids so I don’t know if they breed true. You may be able to find someone who breeds duel purpose or heritage breed chickens meant for meat. Just know they will take much longer to get to butcher weight. You may want to ask on your state thread.
Both, CX and freedom rangers and others are complicated crosses with a formula that is more than just a couple crosses. Though there is some here on BYC that are breeding their own sustainable meat birds that are maybe not as cheap or quick as CX, but comparable to the freedom rangers and other commercial slower growing breeds and much more lively birds. And some breeding better dual purpose heritage breeds than what hatcheries have to offer.

I've had great service from Jenks in OR. they ship chicks, specifically the cobb 500 strain of CX, a hardy, active variant. i get chicks from them about every 6 months, grow out about 70 a year for the family.

Back
Top Bottom