Looking for Do-It-Yourself automatic coop door.

After some more brainstorming, I thought of another potential design, one that incorporates Rob's use of door lock actuators. Actually, incorporates two of them.
I scanned in a rough sketch. Hopefully it is not too confusing.

The door swings open and closed and is hinged vertically. So, it opens like a normal household door. Magnets are used to secure the door closed AND to secure it open. So, if you imagine the door swung open (outward of the coop) at 180 degrees from closed. It would meet a magnet mounted most likely on the outside of the coop.
The theory of this design is that the actuators provide a punch to knock the door off the hinges and swing it with enough force to hit the magnet on the other side, which keeps the door either open or closed. The actuators are set opposite of one another. The opener actuator would be set "out" or "unlocked" while the door is open. And the closer actuator would be set "in" or "locked" (recessed) while the door is open. A timer would control both actuators at the same time. So, if the door was open, the closer actuator would go from locked to unlocked and knock the door over to the other magnet which would keep the door fixed shut until the timer provided another pulse of energy and switched the actuators to the reverse and originally described positions.

17610_coopdoor.jpg

Looking at the diagram, you see on top a front view of the coop and door. More importantly, the illustration below that shows a top view of the door being shut. On the side of the door opening is the opener actuator, which is simultaneously being turned to lock as the closer actuator on the other side is knocking the door off the coop (held by a magnet) as it turns to unlock.

The magnet system is basically one attached to each side of the door and two others attached to the coop in a way to connect to the door magnet and keep hold of the door after it swings either way.

Of course this is all theoretical brainstorm. I have no experience with these door lock actuators. According to Rob, they are about $5-10 bucks a piece. So, this system could potentially work for around $20.

Potential problems would be if one of the hens were in the way during the closing of the door. They would not be hurt but they would block the door from hitting the closing magnet and the door would stay open, leaving the coop vulnerable. If for any reason the door did not hit the closing magnet, the system would be flawed.

Anyway, just thought I would share the brainstorm. Maybe it will cause someone to thing of something else.
smile.png

One design flaw I can foresee is that in the event the mechanical link between the motor and door is broken - the motor will run constantly.

What if below your lower limit switch you add a kill switch for the whole system so in the event that the link is broken the weight of the door should drop it all the way down to the kill switch?​

I see alot of automatic vent openers in supply catalogs for greenhouses that I've always thought would work very well on coop doors. They come in a variety of different types, to open automatically on timers, based on temperature, lighting, etc. Some are electric, some are solar. You can Google Charley's Greenhouse Supplies - he usually has a good selection.

I have done a lot of research on those automatic coop door openers/closers. The most reliable ones are made in Germany, and the best deals are usually on eBay; search: poultry door opener. The web site is: http://www.chicken-house.co.uk/index.htm. Be prepared to pay about $200 for everything you need--the door opener itself, the door they recommend, and a timer if you don't use the infra red mechanism that comes with it. They opener itself costs $145 on eBay, but then you need the other items which cost up to another $50 to $70. Would love to have one!

I can give you drawings, pictures, and instructions, etc... if you would like them. If you don't mind me asking, what kind of price range were you going for? Just a ROUGH estimate but all the parts should probably be around 80$. Id say definetly under $100.

Just let me know,
MusicMan

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom