Looking for duckling advice- large crop

BaileyP

Chirping
Apr 14, 2021
Hi there! New duck mom here. I have two ducklings that are now a week old, a Pekin and Indian Runner. My Pekin (Penny) seems to have a larger crop, that looks more swollen on her right side. I've read through many forums here on the issue and there seems to be conflicting advice with how to treat it, if it's a normal part of growth, etc. I was hoping someone might have some insight and let me know if I'm worrying too much or if I need to be seeking treatment.

She is eating and pooping fine, and her energy seems normal as she and her sister get the zoomies across their brooder. I was hoping someone could look at these pictures and let me know what you think. The spot itself is soft to the touch. They're on a gamebird starter feed. I did feed them some finely ground-up mealworms (without grit) which I was told would be ok by my feed store, but now I'm worried that may have caused an issue. They had maybe 3-4 mealworms chopped up between the two of them.

Any insight or reassuring advice would be very appreciated! I am extremely attached to these little girls already. :)

IMG_5977.jpg
IMG_5979.jpg
IMG_5981.jpg

Not sure about the crop and if it's abnormal or not. Are you offering them chick grit? Ducks need chick grit to break down the food if you give them anything other than their food. Also I'm not sure if gamebird starter is good for ducklings, I know that you would be better off with a waterfowl specific feed though. Gamebird feeds usually have more protein and might end up causing angel wing in some of your ducks, also ducks need more niacin than other birds and I am unsure of the niacin content in gamebird feed.. If you can't find a waterfowl or duckling feed locally, you can order Mazuri waterfowl starter on chewy.com and that is the most highly veteranarian recommended duck food.

Not sure about the crop and if it's abnormal or not. Are you offering them chick grit? Ducks need chick grit to break down the food if you give them anything other than their food. Also I'm not sure if gamebird starter is good for ducklings, I know that you would be better off with a waterfowl specific feed though. Gamebird feeds usually have more protein and might end up causing angel wing in some of your ducks, also ducks need more niacin than other birds and I am unsure of the niacin content in gamebird feed.. If you can't find a waterfowl or duckling feed locally, you can order Mazuri waterfowl starter on chewy.com and that is the most highly veteranarian recommended duck food.
Thank you so much for the advice! I was told by my local feed store that the starter I'm using would be suitable for ducks because it contains niacin, but now I see that the protein content is really too high. I'm ordering a waterfowl-specific one now.

I also asked them about grit and they insisted the ducklings won't need it at this age. I think I've received some bad advice. I'm going to hold off on offering any special "treats" until they're a bit older and I have some grit ready for when the time comes.

Hopefully, the crop issue is ok. It seems to fluctuate in size throughout the day so maybe that's just part of how she eats and digests. Thanks again!

Thank you so much for the advice! I was told by my local feed store that the starter I'm using would be suitable for ducks because it contains niacin, but now I see that the protein content is really too high. I'm ordering a waterfowl-specific one now.

I also asked them about grit and they insisted the ducklings won't need it at this age. I think I've received some bad advice. I'm going to hold off on offering any special "treats" until they're a bit older and I have some grit ready for when the time comes.

Hopefully, the crop issue is ok. It seems to fluctuate in size throughout the day so maybe that's just part of how she eats and digests. Thanks again!
Yes you were definitely given false information. They don't need grit if they only eat their formulated food, but if they are offered anything else at all they need it. I would try to find some, just about any farm or feed store sells it. My local Walmart even sells chick grit in the pet section. I would try and get some to your duck as soon as possible, as there might just be some food in the crop that needs to be broken down by the grit.

It's also worth noting that even if you aren't sure they need grit, offering it won't hurt. I wouldn't mix it into their food or anything like that, but I don't think a few healthy pinches on a saucer would hurt. It they eat it, offer more. If they don't, wait and offer it again when you change the food. They'll probably sample it.

I'm assuming they have access to all the food they want. If you don't want the crop so full you could feed them on a schedule.

As for the crop, it's for food storage. The stomach works best if a fixed amount of food is digested at a time. In the wild, ducks forage pretty much all the time. If they find a rich source of food the crop will fill up. When the stomach and crop are full they can't eat any more. But a crop will hold much more than you would think it should. If they do manage to get full, they usually just sleep more.

My ducklings have had mildly full crops as well, nothing to worry about. @SolarDuck already covered everything concerning food. If you pick her up and push on that crop too much I find that usually they will dribble some saliva but that's the only thing that bothers me about their crops anymore. I used to give my ducklings a tiny dish full of chick grit and they used it a little but they were fine otherwise. Beautiful little ducky!

It's also worth noting that even if you aren't sure they need grit, offering it won't hurt. I wouldn't mix it into their food or anything like that, but I don't think a few healthy pinches on a saucer would hurt. It they eat it, offer more. If they don't, wait and offer it again when you change the food. They'll probably sample it.

I'm assuming they have access to all the food they want. If you don't want the crop so full you could feed them on a schedule.

As for the crop, it's for food storage. The stomach works best if a fixed amount of food is digested at a time. In the wild, ducks forage pretty much all the time. If they find a rich source of food the crop will fill up. When the stomach and crop are full they can't eat any more. But a crop will hold much more than you would think it should. If they do manage to get full, they usually just sleep more.
Thank you so much! I've just put a small dish of grit in with them and they nibbled a couple of curious bites. Penny's crop has even reduced in the time it took me to run out to the store. I'm new to ducklings so the sudden mass on her throat was alarming, but I'm glad to know it's a normal part of the digestion process!

I assume that as long as she's eating and pooping normally, a fluctuating crop is no cause for alarm.

Thanks again!

My ducklings have had mildly full crops as well, nothing to worry about. @SolarDuck already covered everything concerning food. If you pick her up and push on that crop too much I find that usually they will dribble some saliva but that's the only thing that bothers me about their crops anymore. I used to give my ducklings a tiny dish full of chick grit and they used it a little but they were fine otherwise. Beautiful little ducky!
Thank you so much! I'm glad to hear a full crop is normal. I've got waterfowl feed arriving tomorrow and some chick grit in their habitat with them now :)

Yes you were definitely given false information. They don't need grit if they only eat their formulated food, but if they are offered anything else at all they need it. I would try to find some, just about any farm or feed store sells it. My local Walmart even sells chick grit in the pet section. I would try and get some to your duck as soon as possible, as there might just be some food in the crop that needs to be broken down by the grit.
Thank you! I've just fetched some grit and they nibbled down a few pieces immediately, and I also have waterfowl starter feed arriving tomorrow. I can't thank you enough for the advice, you've calmed my nerves!

Back
Top Bottom