Looking for Flighty dual purpose chicken

piddapat

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 30, 2014
Has to be great at foraging. Flighty. I like them flying away from danger.
Roosters that don't attack people. Winter hardy. Either pea comb, walnut comb or Rose comb preferred.

Having a hard time finding a breed like that. Any suggestions?

Check out Kraienkoppes. They are smaller like a leghornish. walnut combs. no wattles. Capable of true flight.

Last edited:
cornish, buckeyes, and chanteclar?
Cornish would be the flightiest of the three IME then the chantecler. But none are really "flighty". Rose comb rhode islands whites are another I forgot to mention, they can be flighty. Buckeyes aren't flighty IME. I got to see the rose comb anconas. The Dominiques are a mixed bag of flighty and not flighty so you could probably get a flock of flighty Doms if you got enough to start with and ate the calmest birds.

Last edited:
I don't really consider any of the flighty breeds dual purpose, you can eat any chicken but dual purpose don't produce a great carcass as it is, a flighting breed that's good at flying is going to be an even smaller bird with even less meat.
Why do you request the certain comb types, just because you like their look or because you feel they're better in winter? Full combed dual purpose breeds do just fine in winter too providing you have a well ventilated coop so as not to allow moisture to settle and cause frostbite

Would getting a flighty roo breed be worth considering? Their alarm calls should help to get a more docile breed running for the hills at the first sign of danger.

Back
Top Bottom