Looking for input

cmckay76

In the Brooder
Oct 12, 2015
Hi guys! So we are new chicken owners. Not sure of our breeds. We have 6 hens and a rooster. The girls are 5 months old and our boy is 18 days younger. Love them to pieces!

About a month ago we noticed strange diarrhea like poop. Since then we have been trying to figure out which one it is coming from. Well, today we figured it out. One of the girls. She is isolating herself and is really acting like she doesn't feel well. She actually laid her head in my hand and fell asleep. Then liquid came from her. She relaxed again and again, liquid came from her. This time she seemed to be in distress. I looked and realized it was egg white came out of her. No yolk, no shell. Then a while later, a tubular, open ended, soft shell came out of her. Her comb and wattle look fine although they are not as warm as the others. Any ideas on what could be going on? Below is a picture of her shell.

Hello & welcome!
It sounds like your hen is having trouble getting her egg mechanism going. If she is expelling parchment like shell and fluid she is in danger of getting an egg yolk peritonitis.
I would keep her isolated for a couple of days and keep a really close eye on her. You could add some electrolytes to her water and extra calcium & vit. D too. If you have a good chicken vet in the area I would visit with them.
The danger of peritonitis is that they get a huge infection and die - having said that - I had a hen with the same issue earlier this year. She managed to sort it our herself and is well and laying hard shelled eggs. Good luck and keep us posted
fl.gif

Last edited:
Thank you guys very much! We will watch her. I also posted in the forum you suggested. In the meantime, we are searching for a vet that will see her. Today, she is drinking but not eating any food. She is so sweet, I hope she is ok.

Back
Top Bottom