Looking for opinions on how to build some duck pens

Keikuri

Chirping
Jun 1, 2019
Connecticut
Was wondering if you guys could help point me in the right direction. I need to build a few pens on the lawn for 32 ducks to have safe grass time without getting murdered by bobcats. These will just be day pens to shoo them into, not attached to their coops. But the more i Google the more i realize i dont know anything.

Initially i figured i’d be burying wood posts, but then i saw other people making their pens sitting right on top of the ground. No digging except to maybe bury hardware cloth. Would a pen built like that be just as sturdy/safe as one built with buried posts? Would there be a reason as to why i shouldnt make a pen this way?

There’s also no flat section in our yard, i’m using the flattest section i can but it’s still a hill. Plus i was told i’d need to bury the posts 3ft deep but my own research says 4ft due to the frost line. We live on very heavy clay soil that becomes hardpan, very hard, about 2-3ft down. Plus there’s quite a few heavy stones and boulders hidden in the ground, resulting in having to dig much bigger holes than needed.
If i do manage to bury posts down far enough, would they still all shift around due to the weight of the pen and being on a slope? Would a non-buried pen shift or no?

Sorry if this seems a bit jumbled or if i’m forgetting to add something. What do you all think? Should i still go with burying posts or make something that sits on the ground? I’ve never done anything like this before so any help or insight would be much appreciated!

If you don't mind the posts shifting about then you don't need to put them below the frost line. They won't stay straight up but will still hold the fence securely for the most part. It usually takes a few years before they lean enough to be obvious unless they are really shallow. The frost heave may work them up too far eventually... years, probably.

How permanent do you want your fence? Step in posts would be a lot easier than t posts or wood posts. Especially to get out again. We had clay like that at the last place we lived, and had a horrible time getting t posts out after a couple of years. Something to keep in mind if you put posts in above the frost line - if you might want to straighten them some day.

Hm, cats climb, though. Do you just mean to keep the ducks away from brush rather tgan fence the cats out?

Oh, I missed some of your questions.

If you sink them three or four feet and are below the frost line and tamped in well, they are not going to move, except maybe the corner posts if you don't brace them and are tensioned fence up. The line posts won't move whatever wire you put on them.

Otherwise, it depends on how deep they are set and how much weight/tension you put on them. The slope won't make a significant difference for this as long as you set the posts vertically rather than perpendicular to the ground.

Fences on top of the ground can work. My friends use xpens (I think it is really baby gates type) and it works for an area big enough for their chicks and ducklings. Historically, zigzag split rail fences where used where the ground was hard to dig.

Oh, I missed some of your questions.

If you sink them three or four feet and are below the frost line and tamped in well, they are not going to move, except maybe the corner posts if you don't brace them and are tensioned fence up. The line posts won't move whatever wire you put on them.

Otherwise, it depends on how deep they are set and how much weight/tension you put on them. The slope won't make a significant difference for this as long as you set the posts vertically rather than perpendicular to the ground.

Fences on top of the ground can work. My friends use xpens (I think it is really baby gates type) and it works for an area big enough for their chicks and ducklings. Historically, zigzag split rail fences where used where the ground was hard to dig.
Thanks for the info! I really appreciate it! But i’m sorry, i wasnt clear enough. I’m not trying to put up a fence at this time but build a predator-proof pen/run outa the fencing and posts. The bobcats are actively hunting my ducks at this point and i need fully enclosed spaces to protect them.

Back
Top Bottom