Looking for Pre-Fab Coop recommendations

LeastinID

Chirping
Apr 12, 2022
Based on the responses to my last post, I've concluded that my hastily purchased coopage will be woefully inadequate for when my chicks are fully grown.
I'm hoping that the collective BYC knowledge base can help me make a wiser choice for their future home.

So . . . Y'all got any Pre-fab recommendations? Any "Don't buy this"-type of warnings?

We are located in southern Idaho. The area is classified as a cold semi-arid climate:
- high 80’s - low 90’s in summer
- teens and 20’s in winter, averaging about 17” of snow

We have six 4-week-old chicks - The sign said they were Arcauna, the sales lady said that they were Ameraucana, but we're thinking that the price we paid means Easter Egger . . . we shall see.

Thankyouverymuch!

Based on the responses to my last post, I've concluded that my hastily purchased coopage will be woefully inadequate for when my chicks are fully grown.
I'm hoping that the collective BYC knowledge base can help me make a wiser choice for their future home.

So . . . Y'all got any Pre-fab recommendations? Any "Don't buy this"-type of warnings?

We are located in southern Idaho. The area is classified as a cold semi-arid climate:
- high 80’s - low 90’s in summer
- teens and 20’s in winter, averaging about 17” of snow

We have six 4-week-old chicks - The sign said they were Arcauna, the sales lady said that they were Ameraucana, but we're thinking that the price we paid means Easter Egger . . . we shall see.

Thankyouverymuch!
A LARGE OverEZ coop wood work with modifications to increase ventilation.

As for the pre-fabs, I've only seen a couple that I think I could make work in my climate. I will defer to others on those. I would suggest converting a used shed to give you better results and probably be cheaper too.

A shed if you want to keep all 6 chickens in Idaho. The snow, wind and cold will really need adequate space inside for 6 adult birds. It is always hard to imagine just how big they are going to get. Overcrowding cause a huge amounts of very ugly behavior.

Watch craigslist, or do a ISO a garden shed. For 6 birds, at a minimum I would want 5 feet x 6 ft x 5 ft. In the cold, the birds need to be kept dry and out of the wind. In the darling small coops, the birds are too close to the walls and ceilings of the coop and the moisture condenses on the cooler surfaces, and can fall back on the birds. Think of being in a car with a group of people and the heat off in cold weather. Almost immediately water begins to condense.

The roost needs to be a good 2-3 feet from the ceiling with the ventilation at the ceiling level. This allows the moist air to leave the coop, keeping the birds drier and out of the draft.

Mrs K

Agreed. The over-e-z is the most adequate prefab. With the money you would spend on one, a small shed would give even more room and work even better. Only thing you would need to add is ventilation (on both a shed or the over-e-z), a roost bar, and nest boxes which can be purchased at tractor supply but are also very easy to DIY.

Back
Top Bottom