Looking for run proofing help!

Chickenmom-1600

In the Brooder
Mar 23, 2024
Hi everyone.,

We had hens for 3 years with zero issues. Not one thing of evidence of anything snooping around. We thought all was secure. The other day the worse happened. Out of the blue a mink turned up and killed them all in a span of 30 mins. I had been in to see them 30 mins before. All was good.
We loved having them and it makes me sick knowing what happened and that I wasn’t there. They were me pets.
I am not sure I want to deal with that ever again. But trying to figure junk of the best build the foundation of a new run.
Do any of you have hardware cloth cover in a cement foundation? I was thinking a base foundation with hardware down and out of run also the somehow doing the same on the inside. Do any of you have the floor of the run dug down with the hardware cloth in it? Then buried with dirt? I’m just trying to find a solution where no digging would be possible.

I am so sorry you lost your flock this way.

I have read many times that Mink can fit through any gap bigger than a half inch.
Pictures of the coop and run will help us to help you. We may see something you're missing.

I am so sorry you lost your flock this way.

I have read many times that Mink can fit through any gap bigger than a half inch.
Pictures of the coop and run will help us to help you. We may see something you're missing.
The coop is secure and not the worry. My run was the problem that we didn’t realized would be. We had the hardware cloth surrounding it but where it overlapped it was tied about every 10 inches. My hand couldn’t fit but the mink managed to climb up and slip its body between the 2 and out. My friend watched it leave. We arrived too late.
However, I would rather build new and have my friend in construction build the run. I will invest in cameras with lights and alarms and where I can talk or scream in them if that would even help scare them off.
I am trying to trap the mink. Everything I read said it would return and I do hope I catch it.
So now I am looking to see people make their runs.

Put a vertical or horizontal stud where it overlaps and hard staple it or use washers and screws to secure it. I staple mine using 3/4" or 1" fence staples every 4"s. I've seen some others that add a trim board over the seam also and screw that in every 4"s alternating the staples making it secure every 2"s for added protection. 1/2" Hardware Cloth is used..

Last edited:
Hi, so sorry for your loss. Hardware cloth (1/2") and cement are definitely the way to go.
Another option is ... A dog. A mink was running into my garage /coop in broad daylight and picking off my hens last summer. I tied up one of my dogs at the coop entrance during daylight hours ... Problem solved. He enjoys sleeping all day in the sunshine. At dusk I close up the garage and bring him indoors. He's also a natural small game predator. I'd think any senior dog from the local shelter would like such a job.

I'm so sorry you lost your flock. We lost ours a couple years ago to a bobcat. There was a small opening that we didn't know existed. We rebuilt our run with a solid roof over half of it and hardware cloth over the rest. No gap anywhere. The hardware cloth lost is made in sections. Framed, on both sides, with wood. I can go take a picture to show you, in a minute.

I'm so sorry you lost your flock. We lost ours a couple years ago to a bobcat. There was a small opening that we didn't know existed. We rebuilt our run with a solid roof over half of it and hardware cloth over the rest. No gap anywhere. The hardware cloth lost is made in sections. Framed, on both sides, with wood. I can go take a picture to show you, in a minute.
Yes please!

Yes please!
I found a picture when we were in the process of making it. The hardware cloth is framed on each side so that there's no way for anything to pull the hardwarecloth up. I hope this helps. If you need a better picture, let me know!
1000007391.jpg

Hi, so sorry for your loss. Hardware cloth (1/2") and cement are definitely the way to go.
Another option is ... A dog. A mink was running into my garage /coop in broad daylight and picking off my hens last summer. I tied up one of my dogs at the coop entrance during daylight hours ... Problem solved. He enjoys sleeping all day in the sunshine. At dusk I close up the garage and bring him indoors. He's also a natural small game predator. I'd think any senior dog from the local shelter would like such a job.
A dog would be great and we had a westie terrier who would have torn it to pieces, I think?! They are rodent dogs, but I’m not sure how safe he would have been around my chicken.

Back
Top Bottom