Looking for Small Towns that has a favorable chicken ordenience

sweetdreams12477

Hatching
12 Years
Jun 9, 2007
I am in a jam here in Indiana. I need to find at least 6 Small towns that have an ordinance that is in favor of keeping backyard chickens. Along with that I need to get a copy of it and submit it to my town council by June 18. Here is my story. When I first decided to get a few chicken for my family I check the a member of the city council. He said it would be fine as longs as my neighbors were fine with it. Both of my neighbors were so I proceed to build the coop, get my chickens and so on. This month at the city council meeting it was brought up there was an ordinance against chickens. So now I am quest to have the ordinance changed. And so the city council has request 6 ordinance that allow people to keep backyard chickens in town. My town is only 200-250 people, but any town under 1000 would be preferred, but It can be any small town anywhere. If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it.

Thank you
Correnia

SECTION 6-701 Animals at Large
No person shall suffer any horse, cattle, other grazing animals or fowl kept or controlled by
him to run at large upon any of the streets or other places in the Town, either with or without a
keeper.
SECTION 6-702 Displaying Non-domesticated Animals for Entertainment
(a) No Living non-domesticated animals shall be displayed for public entertainment or
amusement in circuses, carnivals or other similar entities on property owned by the Town of
Weymouth, on Town-owned property under lease, or on private property. As used in this paragraph,
“displayed” shall include, but is not limited to, animal acts or performances, animal rides and
competitive animal races.
(b) This Ordinance shall not apply to domestic animals including, but not limited to, dogs, cats,
horses and farm animals.
(c) This Ordinance shall not apply to exhibits deemed educational by the Massachusetts Society
for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.
Code Of Ordinances
TOWN OF WEYMOUTH
CHAPTER 6
(d) Definitions:
Animals - Any mammal, bird, reptile, amphibian, or fish with the exception of human beings.
Domesticated Animal - Any animal occurring naturally or historically in the United States, that through
long association with humans, has been bred to a degree which has resulted in genetic changes
affecting the temperament, color, conformation or other attributes of the species to the extent that
makes it unique and different from wild animals of its kind. (aka not domesticated)
Wild Animal - Any animal occurring naturally and traditionally within the United States that is not
domesticated.
Exotic Animal - Any animal not occurring naturally or historically in the United States. The phrase
includes, but is not limited to, all manner of lions, tigers, leopards, jaguars, cheetahs, elephants,
zebras, camels, giraffes, reptiles and any crossbreed of these animals other than fish or insects.
Education - Non-profit groups, institutions or individuals who engage in teaching and instructing with
intent and the effect of imparting knowledge to others through oral presentations and/or written
hand-outs (whose sole purpose is to teach without entertainment), or entity deemed educational by
the MSPCA, the New England Wildlife Center, other reputable animal humane/welfare
organizations or accredited by AZA.
Entertainment - Any organization which replicates the traditional wild animal circus in which wild
animals are required to perform tricks or participate as accompaniments in performances for the
amusement of an audience.
SECTION 6-801 Dogs and Cats
(a) Leashing required; length of leash
No person shall permit a dog owned or kept by him beyond the confines of the property of
the owner or keeper unless the dog is held firmly on a leash. The length of a leash shall not exceed
six (6) feet when off the property of the owner or keeper. An owner or keeper may use a leash of a
greater length to restrain a dog on the property of an owner or keeper, provided that the dog is
securely confined to the premises of the owner or keeper.
(b) Disturbing the peace
No person shall own or keep within the Town any dog which by biting, barking, howling or
in any other manner disturbs the peace and quiet of any neighborhood or endangers the safety of any
person or domesticated or farm animal.
(c) Restrictions – Defecation
An owner or keeper of a dog shall remove, and dispose of any feces left by such dog on any
sidewalk, street,
SECTION 6-801 Dogs and Cats
(a) Leashing required; length of leash
No person shall permit a dog owned or kept by him beyond the confines of the property of
the owner or keeper unless the dog is held firmly on a leash. The length of a leash shall not exceed
six (6) feet when off the property of the owner or keeper. An owner or keeper may use a leash of a
greater length to restrain a dog on the property of an owner or keeper, provided that the dog is
securely confined to the premises of the owner or keeper.
(b) Disturbing the peace
No person shall own or keep within the Town any dog which by biting, barking, howling or
in any other manner disturbs the peace and quiet of any neighborhood or endangers the safetyof any person or domesticated or farm animal.

These are some of the ordinances from my town...In addition, unless I am showing or breeding I cannot have roosters because they're considered Noise Pollution.
hu.gif

I can have as many hens as I wish.
They have to be in a fenced yard.
I have to pay $5 a year for a license for them and be inspected once a year by the Animal Control Officer.

We're a bit bigger town/city than I thought. We have a Board of Selectmen AND a Mayor. We have between 40 and 50,000 residents.

The only allowance in my town of Uxbridge, MA. is you have to be in agri. land. I had to huck up 300 bucks to go before the zoning board to plead my case jsut so they could say, uhh ok but no roosters and what are you going to do with the poop?.

Well jeez louise do you do anything about overhead wild bird poop? I told them i was using what i could from the coop for fertilizer and the rest of the time they would poop where they pooped just like any other birds. "well do your neighbors have wells?" They are 1.5 acres away! They don't give a fiddle they want fresh eggs! The wells are safe! Erin M.

Salem NY is really small and has a "right to farm law". My town realizes the importance of agriculture and allows the keeping of all farm animals (except pigs) within the village limits. Most other towns in my county (Washinton) and surrounding counties, Bennington (VT) and Saratoga (NY) have similar laws.

My city probably isn't small enough, but we are able to keep farm animals (some even have camels
th.gif
). I believe we can keep 100 chickens on 1/2 acre.
Norco, California- There are 26k people and about the same amount of horses.
lol.png

Thank you all so very much. I really aperciate all the help and I hope that the city council will change the ordenience here. Again thank you all for all the help.

Back
Top Bottom