Looking For The Best Feed To Feed My Barred Rock Layers

CountryGirl3294

In the Brooder
Jun 21, 2015
Indiana
Hello Everyone,
I know there are numerous posts about this topic already. So I apologize for asking again!
Currently my Barred Rock pullets are on DuMor Chick Starter/Grower 20%, they're going on six weeks old. I was wondering is there anything they may be better for them? I am not having any problems with DuMor, and they are growing up very healthy. Friday I need to get some more feed and before I just grab another bag of DuMor I was wondering if I should try something else. I was leaning toward Purina Flock Raiser Crumbles, but not sure. I live near Tractor Supply, Rural King, and Big R. So I am able to purchase brands like Purina, DuMor, Nutrena (Country Feeds/NatureWise), Country Road, and I have a local feed store but they only carry Kent, Hubbard, Show-Rite and their own mixture of feed.
My next question is when they start laying which brand of feed does everyone like best? I am looking to have healthy chickens that will lay healthy eggs with nice shells. Any suggestions on chick feed and layer feed?

Welcome! I've fed Purina for a long time, and have been happy with their Flock Raiser and Layena feeds. I haven't tried everything on your list, although a couple of times I did try locally milled feed and have not been happy with it. Get something that is available and fresh; shelf life matters a lot. Mary

I prefer to go with locally milled feeds. I am supporting local agriculture and small business, it's usually no more than a week old, it will be cheaper and nutritionally, it will meet the national brands.

I was considering my local feed mill but not sure on the freshness. I'll have to ask. Thanks for everyone who has replied to this post. Looking forward from anyone else who has any suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom