Looking for Tips on Incubating Eggs..(What's Your Set Ups) (Pics Please)

Cowboy44

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 6, 2012
South Central KY
I was wondering what kind of set ups do yall run when incubating/hatching eggs and raising chicks. I use to raise mine in the basement at my previous house I had the incubator and a large brooder setup, butI don't have that luxury anymore...my wife would rather not have them in the house since we have a 8month old boy who is very curious and into everything. Is it possible to run an incubator in an uninsulated building(like a tool shed)? Also how soon do you move your birds from a brooder box to a normal pen? I raised my first flock all at the same time...so I'm kinda new to introducing new chicks to a existing flock.

Just looking for some advice...all comments and pictures are welcome...TIA

I incubate in my utility/laundry room just of my kitchen. I think in an uninsulated building it may be difficult to maintain a consistent temp.

When hatch is complete and they are ready to come out of the incubator they move into a guinea pig cage that I have next to the incubator.

They stay in there for a couple of weeks before moving out into the garage with a heat lamp in a pen.
Once they don't require heat they then move out into coop and run in the garden usually at about 6 weeks but dependant on the weather conditions.

Adding chicks to an existing flock should be done when the birds have reached full maturity. The look and don't touch method is good. Have them so they can see each other but not touch so they can get aquainted but not fight. After a few weeks let them together but have extra feed and water stations out so no one can be bullied off food and water. Supervision is advised too incase you need to jump in if the pecking order squabbles get too much or bloody.

Last edited:
Awesome explanation and pictures!! Thank you Very Much!! I may still have to do something different with the incubator issue...I can put them in my shop in a brooder pen but still gotta find a way to hatch them somewhere other than the house..but Thank you for some great information!!

Back
Top Bottom