Looking to be a beginner! Questions!!

I have a friend that will be having some silkies hatch really soon and was considering three of them. What's your thoughts? Also, where can I find info about winter care and what we can do if we can't get electric to the chicken coup?

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

That's a cute little coop - mind, most coops like that won't hold many birds. Looking at yours, I would guess it'll hold about three birds and not much more.

It can be hard to find chicks this time of year. I know of very few feed stores still selling them, and even hatcheries themselves tend to be running low. Plus, hatchery minimums are usually 15-25 chicks; a few will do small orders, but it definitely costs more.

There's lots of good breeds out there. Any common backyard breed you see (Sex Links, Barred Rocks, Wyandottes, New Hampshires, Delawares, Sussex, Australorps, and plenty more) will likely make a good choice. Don't be afraid to mix and match, in fact I highly recommend it! My only other suggestions would be to avoid Production Reds (aka "Rhode Island Reds") due to aggression issues, and any white egg laying breeds, as they are often high strung.

I have a friend that will be having some silkies hatch really soon and was considering three of them. What's your thoughts? Also, where can I find info about winter care and what we can do if we can't get electric to the chicken coup?

Silkies can be a great breed... in certain situations. While they are fantastically cute, fluffy, and lovable, and require less space and feed than standards, they are not the greatest layers. You might expect 3-4 small eggs per bird per week during the spring and summer, and far, far fewer during the cold season. They are hard to sex - hatchery quality cannot be sexed until 4-5 months on average and breeder quality stock could take upwards of 6 months or until they crow or lay, meaning you could put a lot of time and feed into birds who may end up being cockerels. Also, they do not do well with other breeds; so if you get them and then decide you would like some more practical layers, you will have to either rehome the Silkies or build a new coop for the standard hens.

Try typing "winterizing a coop" or "keeping chickens in winter" into the search bar above. There have been lots of good threads regarding keeping chickens warm, dry, and happy during the winter. In most cases, heating of the coop is not necessary and in fact can be detrimental. In most cases, all the birds require is a well ventilated (but not drafty) coop.

Last edited:
I picked a bad time of year to start all this! The Silkies are pretty much all I can find around here right now so I guess we are going to give them a shot! How does my brooder look? The heat lamp is a clear one but is says specifically on the box for brooding chickens and it was given to me by a friend that has used it. I want it around 90-95 for 1-2 week old right? Also how do I use that feeder for 3 chick? It seems so big! That was also given to me!

I picked a bad time of year to start all this! The Silkies are pretty much all I can find around here right now so I guess we are going to give them a shot! How does my brooder look? The heat lamp is a clear one but is says specifically on the box for brooding chickens and it was given to me by a friend that has used it. I want it around 90-95 for 1-2 week old right? Also how do I use that feeder for 3 chick? It seems so big! That was also given to me!

Yeah, chicks definitely aren't very available this time of year. Don't get me wrong; Silkies definitely aren't the worst breed to start with. I personally breed Silkies and enjoy them greatly. It's just important to be aware of their drawbacks when it comes to more practical uses.

That looks just fine. The 95 degree rule is a guideline; personally I place the heat lamp to one side of the brooder and go by behavior. If they're spread out away from it, it needs to be raised. If they're all huddled beneath it, it should be lowered.

That feeder is indeed quite large. I've never been a fan of that type myself; quit them a few years back in favor of this style:

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Giant-Hanging-Poultry-Feeder/dp/B001CS2RTQ

They produce less waste, take up less space, and are easier to fill and clean.

Okay i think I seen one like that at RK or TS today. What about the lamp is it okay? What about when we are gone to work will it be okay left on?!

Last edited:
Last edited:
my plan is to keep them in the garage (not heated but attached to the house). I'm still trying to arrange when I'm going to pick them up, they might be closer to 1-2 weeks old already. Our weather this week is highs in the 70s lows in the 50's. I figured I'd brood them in the garage with the heat lamp until maybe 8 weeks I just worry because it will be end of December and probably pretty cold when I move them outside to the coup.

Okay i think I seen one like that at RK or TS today. What about the lamp is it okay? What about when we are gone to work will it be okay left on?!

The lamp looks fine. As long as it's really a heat lamp and providing warmth they should be fine.

Very young chicks will need a heat source 24/7. Make sure it's securely attached... nobody wants a brooder fire. If you're excessively concerned about it, you might consider a "safer" option, such as a Brinasea EcoGlow brooder or a heating pad "cave".

I have also found a local person that has bantam Cochin chicks that are 1-5 weeks and they have white and partridge silkies and then my friend has gray, black, marble gray/black And buff silkies. Which do you think would be good for us?!?!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom