Looking to join this awesome lifestyle!

tuttler737

In the Brooder
Apr 18, 2015
I am new to all of this and have a lot to learn! My wife and I live in Florida, we recently purchased a 5 acre lot that we will build on in the years to come. My plan was to start raising chickens on the property and plant gardens instead of letting it sit vacant. Now since I do not live there yet, my concerns are that I will not be there to keep an eye on the chickens. I was thinking about building the chicken tractors or possibly fence in an area for them. I would be able to go there a couple times a day to let them out, clean coops, feed and water. The area around it is other houses with livestock and chickens so I feel like it's relatively safe for them. I would appreciate any suggestions on how I could set this up so they can stay safe and not be caged up all day. Also is it necessary to diversify the type of chickens I get or just have one kind. Looking for laying hens.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Congratulations on your new farm! You might like to check out your state thread for chicken keeping neighbors and any suggestions they have for things to look at when building coops in your area https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/305793/florida-always-sunny-side-up/0_20 If you can get out to the farm a once or a couple of times a day, you shouldn't have a problem keeping birds, just be sure to predator proof really well. (Many people aren't home all the time anyhow, ie if you work away from home etc it is not unusual to be gone 12+ hours.) Check out the Coops section for ideas on some nice coop/run set ups https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coops
You can keep just one breed if you want, a lot of people do like multiple breeds for various reasons, to make it easier to id individual birds or because they like a colorful egg basket ...generally breeds with similar temperaments will get along fine, especially if they are raised together.

I agree the chickens should be fine with your daily visits as long as they have strong predator protection in place,. Sometimes when the owner is not on premises it attracts
two legged predators as well, who covet your possessions and decide to take off with them. A good game camera should keep you informed about what happens when you aren't there.

welcome-byc.gif

welcome aboard!

just going to concur with what you've already been told. Just make sure they have good tight protection from predators and have at it!

welcome-byc.gif
so glad you have joined us. Good luck in your planning to prepare for and selection of the flock.

You mention you think the area is "relatively" safe, and that suggests you are not positive about the safety? IMO chickens are never totally safe from predator risks. All we can do is evaluate the potential predators in our particular region and plan housing, runs, ranging based on that knowledge. And factor in the losses one is willing to risk.

Caged and confinement IMO are different concepts. I have a small flock who live in confinement and are Happy Hens! But their home is secure & spacious and I selected breeds that do well in confinement. I also have IP camera to monitor them when I am not at home.

If your property would allow incorporating the coop in a vegetable garden with rotational access for your flock, it would be awesome. There was an article in the past in Mother Earth News magazine that looked like it would be chicken haven.

Good luck with all.

Thanks, yeah I know there are Hawks in the area so that's always an issue. Would it be best just to have a stationary coop with a larger area to run around in? As opposed to larger chicken trailers?

Back
Top Bottom