Looking to rescue factory farm hen

ladymommabrahma

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 12, 2013
Kentucky
I'm looking to rescue a hen from a factory farm instead of hatching my hens' eggs. The closest factory farm with layers to me is in Muhlenberg County, KY but I can't find the name of it to give them a call.

Does any one know of any other factory farms with layers around Louisville, KY or happen to know the name of the one in Muhlenberg County, KY?

I hope I posted this in the right section, thanks!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/110/kentucky-people You might try posting in your state thread to see if anyone knows of any local farms that place their spent hens.

If you know there is one in Muhlenberg you might try contacting the extension service
Muhlenberg County Office
3690 State Route 1380
Central City, KY 42330
Phone: (270) 338-3124
Fax: (270) 338-3138
Email:
[email protected]

A lot of the commercial poultry industry today is vertically integrated. What that means is that the farmer is under contract to house the hens, and gather the eggs but that is about all. The hens all belong to an integrator which is some company like Perdue, even the chicken food that the farmer feeds belongs to the integrator. Don't be disappointed if the answer is no. You're asking the farmer to violate his contract with his employer as it were, and the farmer may have millions in debts to think about and he can't repay the bank if he gives his employer's property away and loses his contract. Contracts have been lost for less.

Back
Top Bottom