Losing a chick to a predator - my own

karinm072

In the Brooder
Apr 7, 2015
Brockton, MA
I recently lost one of my four 3 week old chicks to my own dog. I am devastated over the loss of little Shirley, a Barred Plymouth Rock, who was so sweet and shy and beautiful! I don't blame my dog Spike a 15 year old Jack Russell Terrier for doing what is instinctual for him. And I can't blame the 4 year old child who took Shirley out of the brooder then put her on the floor. She didn't belong in the house and her mom should have been watching her. There can't be any "if only" hindsight scenarios to dwell on. This is my first time raising chicks and I know it seems silly to some people, but I LOVE these girls! I spend every chance I get caring for them or just watching them. Does anyone else have these feelings of attachment and loss? Everyone tells me they're sorry but I am truly heartbroken that my dog (who has been my best baby) took the life from poor little Shirley. I have so much guilt and sadness.

hugs.gif
Not your fault, not the dog's fault, not the child's fault - perhaps the Mom should have kept a better eye on her child. It's a learning process. "Sorry for your loss.

So sorry! It's one of those heart breaking scenarios where the "if onlys" will eat you up. I know I had a similar situation when my cat got my hamster (my favorite one... She use to ride on my shoulder) and then left the bottom half of her under my bed as a gift! Try not to let it eat you up though (in other words forgive yourself you did nothing wrong!) and enjoy the babies you have left! Hugs!

I'm so sorry sweetie. Our old man dog has unfortunately killed a couple of our chickens a time or two. Never gets easier. I truly believe he just wanted to play. I found him curled up with them whimpering each time. And sadly he gave my kids cavies a heart attack licking them a few years ago. I finally broke down and put a shock collar on him with the latest one. Took a week of training and small shocks but it's been over a month and he refuses to go near them now. And if he's outside in the backyard and one of the girls escapes and tries to come near him he runs to the backdoor whimpering to come inside.

Back
Top Bottom