Losing a hen every 6-8 weeks

Buddy2biddies

Chirping
5 Years
May 27, 2014
Don't really know if there is any hope. I got 6 hens in June - they were to young to lay at the time. All were fat and eating well.

The smallest one - who was always eating like crazy just started acting funny - she was skin and bones. Took to vet - he was clueless but put her on worm medicine and antibiotics - she stood the next day and then died.

6 weeks later - one of my hens who was laying and always a good eater started to drink more than usual. Comb color was good, no wings dropped, tail up etc. Free ranged one day and the next not doing much - 3 days later she was dead. I tried antibiotics and worming again for her. Wormed the other 4 as well.

One month to the day today I go out and my biggest and fattest hen is looking funny. Tail feather down and not eating like usual. Checked her and she has lost weight. Gave her Nutridrench this morning and antibiotic. She seemed a little better this afternoon. But not eating like she usually does.

I must say that I am on a local chicken group on FB and was reading about someone losing 3 hens in a week. I found out from this guy that he had bought them from the same place I had. He bought his in March and me in June. He lost his last month.

I have suspected it was from where I bought them. I feed them good layer crumbles along with herbs, probiotics. Change water daily and clean run and coop. My neighbors don't do half of what I do - they have lost 15 to predators so I cannot let mine out a lot.

The guy who bought his from the same place said it was Mareks. My vet thought it could be that too. The first just wasted away, the second wasted away but also had a large lump under one wing.

So is there any hope or do I just keep them comfortable and they succumb to this? Really not sure if I will get more chickens and try again later. Too hard to watch them just die like this.

buy from known breeders who have their birds tested and have a good reputation for healthy birds.. be careful buying at chicken swaps or off craigslist.

other than worming and a little first aid, I don't treat my birds for anything. only the best get to stay here and breed. culling heavily at first.

If it could be Mareks that is killing your chickens, then each chicken may exhibit differing symptoms of wasting, lameness or paralysis, tumors anywhere in the body inside or out, or eye color or pupil shape changes. There are 4 types of Mareks, so that is why symptoms can vary. Getting a necropsy done by your state vet or getting a PCR blood test is the only way to confirm the disease. Here is some info on Mareks to read:
http://extension.unh.edu/resources/files/Resource000791_Rep813.pdf
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq
http://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/avian-atlas/#/disease/Marek's_Disease

This is what's going on now. I have syringe fed hen each evening since her crop is empty when I get home from work. Last night I figured I had nothing to lose so I gave her penicillin, baytril, metrodinazole, nutridrench, and safeguard.

This morning she is still alive and walks around. Tried to eat but just rubs her beak back and forth on the grass. She acts like she cannot swallow. I do not see anything down her throat to obstruct.

Her tail is up a bit more but still stands and closes eyes some.

She was my healthiest chicken. We have had tons of rain here. Their run is covered with tarp roofs and pine straw on ground so it's not super muddy.

This is the 6th day of feeding and treating her. Any other ideas from anyone?

Oh and I put Vet RX under her wings at night too and dusted for mites.

Any suggestions would sure be appreciated

I don't think you need to give penicillin if you're giving Baytril and metronidazole, but ignore me if that's what your vet suggested.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom