losing chicks for no reason?!

kellykate

Songster
14 Years
Feb 26, 2009
Yarmouth, Maine
60 chicks arrived yesterday --with 3 DOA. Then we lost 2 little bantams by the end of the day. 1 other little bantam looked listless --wasn't getting up --I moved it to a separate box and help give it some water etc. She makes it through the night but we loose 2 more --1 bantam Polish and 1Salmon Fav --dead when I came down in the morning. On most recent check there are 2 more listless ones --1 Leghorn and 1 Silkie!!! WHAT IS GOING ON?? I have never lost this many in such a short amount of time. And they seem just fine one minutes and then the next minute they are just laying there getting trampled by the others-- unable to walk. The poor sick ones just lay in their box eyes closed, breathing fast. I feel like it is inevitable that they will die --:(

It was My Pet Chicken --I have had such great luck with them in the past! Never seen such a loss -- How long do you think you would see chicks die from transport stress?

Not sure, but there is also the option that one or more chicken were sick and infected the others during the trip due to proximity, etc. But, more likely, the weakest ones died after the journey, in which case it should taper off now. It the dyeing persists I would think it is disease.

Think about the stress on new-borns, crammed into a box, unsteady temps, no access to water, etc. Perhaps it is more surprising how many survived... perhaps look for a more local supplier in the future. Probably more expensive, but easier on the chickens and you :)

AGREE! Thanks --that is what it appears to be -the group seems to be holding steady now. Ugh --rough 24 hours on everyone! Thanks for your help!

I'm having the same trouble with our chicks that arrived Monday from My Pet Chicken. Out of 15 three have died with another that is very sick. 1 DOA, one shortly after, another the next morning, and one that is struggling now :-( All started out lethargic and went downhill.

***I meant to say when they got sick the first symptom was lethargy, the others are active and chirpy.

Back
Top Bottom