losing chicks

Ncantrell

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 13, 2014
Michigan
Picked up 52 ISA Brown chicks from the PO around 10 this morning. 10 have died already and 5 are looking poorly. I am heartbroken here. Followed the instructions and can't figure or what is going wrong.
Raised ducklings last spring, easy peasy. In fact, the 15 Pekins in this batch are doing fine.

I'm crushed. My DD bought these pullets with her egg money and birthday money. She's in bed with the flu and I'm dreading giving her the news.

Is there singing I'm missing here? Seems like an awful lot of dying.

The brooder temp isn't all the way to 95, but the live birds are happily roaming, eating, and drinking. The others were sluggish and just drop off slowly.

I should also mention that they came from a local hatchery, just across the state. The weather has been fairly mild for Michigan

It sounds like shipping stress. Have you contacted the hatchery? That is so sad and I hope your daughter will take the news ok. The box may have been mishandled or gotten chilled somewhere along the way

I will call in the morning. I'm afraid to see what it will be like in the morning. :( Poor little sweeties.

Hoping for the best
1f424.png
1f423.png

You might want to get some electrolytes if you don't have any. Poor things. I really think it's stress from shipping if some were sluggish out of the box. The hatchery should replace them. Most have guarantees. It's still so sad though :(

I'm having some bad luck with my newest bantams, got an adorable chipmunk pattern was hoping for an ee out of it, it died a few hrs after getting it home from tractor supply even with save a chick, just lost another little black one had it 6 days it started getting pasty butt and I was gently cleaning it with a warm wet q tip. Last night it started acting weak and died today, I had some others get pasty butt but they have done fine. I wish I knew why I lost 2. The little chipmunk was so tiny when we got it and was a little weak acting but I wanted to try to save it, the black one seemed fine until last night. Its sad losing sweet little chicks. We are getting some more tomorrow hopefully things will go better. I'm really hoping for some ee bantams instead of oeg but I'm not sure how to tell the difference

I picked up some electrolytes this morning. We've lost 21 now. I contacted the hatchery this morning. Nothing to do now but try to save the rest. :/

Oh so sorry
1f622.png
.. Losses are so hard, especially that many.. I do hope the hatchery makes it right and that you can save some
1f497.png
1f413.png
1f424.png

Back
Top Bottom