losing chicks

In the end, we lost 23. Townline was very accommodating. The person I spoke to was sympathetic which I really appreciated.

DD decided she wanted a refund. She didn't want to risk mailing more chicks. DD even asked if we could drive out and pick them up. It's two hours from here, four hours round trip, which I just can't swing this time of year. (I do taxes for a living).

Anyway, she may try egg ducks later in the season since we've had easy time with ducklings.

The remaining chicks are all lively. Had to clean some pasty vents last night, but otherwise
Very good. At least no more tears today.

Last edited:
Sorry that you lost so many :,( I had one batch that ended up with about a 75% death rate within the first week.. It was hard, but also my first time incubating so it may very well have been my fault. Sounds like you have a great daughter.. Maybe check at a local farm store/feed store? This is a good time of year to find chicks.. Even Craigslist can be worthwhile (and I usually avoid CL like the plague).. Have you checked your states thread here on BYC? May be someone close to you with chicks, maybe even someone willing to drive to you? Sorry-- not trying to overwhelm you, just throwing some ideas for alternatives to shipping them.. I live in a very rural area and chicks are rampant here but never rare breeds which is what I prefer so I have to do the lovely hunt every time I want to add new stock .. Maybe even call your extension office? I know last year they ordered like 100 more chicks than they needed and were giving them away to anyone with kids that wanted to start raising chickens.. I'm sure that was a fluke but they may be able to put you in contact with some 4H or FFA groups nearby that have some too..
Best of luck no matter what !!
1f497.png
1f423.png
1f424.png
1f413.png
1f497.png

Back
Top Bottom