Losing Feathers

They are eating Purina Layena Pellets. Label says crude protein is 16.00%. I don't know if that is good or bad. They also free range for about an hour each day in my back yard. We give them scraps but rarely anything with much protein. I will check for mites though I am not looking forward to it lol. We have 5 hens in a 4x4 coup with an 8x4 run.

Looking for mites/lice is not fun at all, especially with such a tiny coop.
Easiest if you have someone to help, they hold the bird, you part the feathers.
I do it alone at night with a headlamp, but I have a large walkin coop,
can grab the bird off the roost and sit down in a chair with bird on my lap.
Also, wipe down underside of roost with white paper towel well after dark,
look for smears of red from well fed night feeding mites.

16% protein is about the minimum for layers, adding any other foods/treats dilutes that protein.
You might want to think about switching to a higher protein all flock/grower/finisher.
lots of different names so start reading labels of what's available where you buy feed.

My Feeding Notes: I like to feed a flock raiser/grower/finisher 20% protein crumble to all ages and genders, as non-layers(chicks, males and molting birds) do not need the extra calcium that is in layer feed and chicks and molters can use the extra protein. Makes life much simpler to store and distribute one type of chow that everyone can eat. I do grind up the crumbles (in the blender) for the chicks for the first week or so.

The higher protein crumble also offsets the 8% protein scratch grains and other kitchen/garden scraps I like to offer. I adjust the amounts of other feeds to get the protein levels desired with varying situations.

Calcium should be available at all times for the layers, I use oyster shell mixed with rinsed, dried, crushed chicken egg shells in a separate container.

Animal protein (mealworms, a little cheese - beware the salt content, meat scraps) is provided during molting and if I see any feather eating

Hello again... I will admit that I still have not checked for lice... I haven't checked because it seemed weird that 3 out of the 5 continue to have feather loss but the other two remain looking normal... would lice only attack 3 out of the 5? They have had one cycle of protein increase, eating a bag of food that was 18% protein "feather fixer" feed and now they have switched to a 20% protein crumble bag. However, it seems like the feather loss is getting worse on the three that have it. One of them even has a complete patch of baldness that looks red with little scabs. Up close it literally looks like their feathers have been mowed down with clippers. I tried to get pictures but they stink because I couldn't hold them and photograph but I will post what I have. I am just at a loss for what is happening and how to fix it. Thanks again for continued suggestions and help!

Hello again... I will admit that I still have not checked for lice... I haven't checked because it seemed weird that 3 out of the 5 continue to have feather loss but the other two remain looking normal... would lice only attack 3 out of the 5? They have had one cycle of protein increase, eating a bag of food that was 18% protein "feather fixer" feed and now they have switched to a 20% protein crumble bag. However, it seems like the feather loss is getting worse on the three that have it. One of them even has a complete patch of baldness that looks red with little scabs. Up close it literally looks like their feathers have been mowed down with clippers. I tried to get pictures but they stink because I couldn't hold them and photograph but I will post what I have. I am just at a loss for what is happening and how to fix it. Thanks again for continued suggestions and help!

Those do look to be bitten off........the 2 with no broken feathers are probably the ones doing the feather biting.
They won't grow back until they go thru a molt.
The increased protein can help, but you still have a crowding situation....and feather eating can become a social habit..

Thank you for your help! So you are saying the cause is most likely that they don't have enough space in that size coop? Does free ranging more help solve that or is it more of a complete coop restructuring? Do you happen to have any suggestions for how to solve crowding without having to do a huge overhaul? Here is what we are working with:

Also, since changing to the 20% crumbles I am finding them EVERYWHERE inside the coop... like they are just spilling it all over the place. Is that normal with crumbles? Any way to avoid it?

Thanks again!

The coop for most birds is a place to sleep and lay eggs. If you are in an area that you need to lock them in on some days it matters more. Your hens are bored, I would increase the run as much as possible. Since you have a smaller more secure run the extension can be a form of controlled free ranging. Your hen are probably mentally bored.

Thanks. I will look into some suggested "extension" options. We live in a suburban neighborhood with neighbor cats roaming in our backyard all the time and owls/hawks constantly on the prowl. No more dangerous than anywhere else I am sure... I just don't know how to free range them for longer periods without worrying they will get eaten... but I can't possibly watch them outside for hours on end with my two kiddos.

Last edited:
Spilled crumbles...what form were you feeding before?
Most feeders are pretty wasteful....what kind do you have?

I was just feeding pellets before. We made our feeder based off a tutorial on here... where you drill holes in the bottom of a bucket and drill it to a planter base. Just seems like a lot is being wasted and I have neighbors terrified my chickens are going to bring rats in.

Back
Top Bottom