losing humidity and only 2 pips so far

HeatherFeather

Songster
10 Years
Feb 16, 2009
Severn Bridge, ON
I'm using a hovabator still air for the first time. I have 2 eggs out of 46 which have just pipped. It has been in lockdown for 3.5 days already; they are hatching late, if at all, due to chilling. I don't have a hygrometer, am just using the recommended method of filling the troughs with water. But it seems that a few troughs are dry or close to it now, as it has been a few days.

Previously, both windows had condensation on them, now one is dry and one just has a bit.

What should I do? I am scared to open it up. Can I pipe water from my mouth through a straw in a vent hole to refill the troughs?

I should mention that the humidity in the surrounding room has likely gone down as well, as we heat with wood- we generally keep a big pot of water boiling on the stove, but our pipes froze and we are on limited consumption til it thaws. So no pot on the stove.

Thanks Sally. I will read the articles after the kids go to bed tonight. I haven't pulled the red vent plugs yet, as I am following the hovabator instructions which say to pull them after hatching. I *did* initially pull them the first day of lockdown, after reading something on here...plus that was the really cold day, and I was having a very hard time bringing the temp back up in the bator. After re-reading GQFs instructions, I reinserted them.

The one egg has been pipped for maybe 3 hours and the other one a little over an hour.

Thank you so much for all your insight. I love so much how online communities help people out this way. (I have helped many back in my aquarium days :) )

Thanks Sally. I will read the articles after the kids go to bed tonight. I haven't pulled the red vent plugs yet, as I am following the hovabator instructions which say to pull them after hatching. I *did* initially pull them the first day of lockdown, after reading something on here...plus that was the really cold day, and I was having a very hard time bringing the temp back up in the bator. After re-reading GQFs instructions, I reinserted them.

The one egg has been pipped for maybe 3 hours and the other one a little over an hour.

Thank you so much for all your insight. I love so much how online communities help people out this way. (I have helped many back in my aquarium days :) )
Good but I would AT LEAST have one open, the entire hatch. you will understand more when you read..... After my first hatch my bator paperwork was thrown out the door and I NEVER EVER go by its thermos and hygro. LOL

Last edited:
Ok, yes those are the articles i had read earlier. i really do not want to do an assisted hatch :( i hope it won't come to that.

So, I take out one vent plug, and get up in the night to feed the fire....but how do i get more humidity inside the bator? I am inclined to put a straw down the vent into the troughs, and put water in my mouth and push it through the straw....but i don't want to mess things up with 'mouth bacteria' or anything. is this a good or bad idea?

Ok, I did it, I piped in water with a straw, from my mouth. The only syringes in the house are wee little 1cc for giving shots to lambs/kids. I rinsed with hydrogen peroxide first...lets hope for the best. pulled one plug, and have added an extra wool sweater around the outside, not constricting any holes of course. (i've had a foam camping matress and 2 seeding heat mats around the bator the whole time as well to keep the temp up, our house is just too old and cold) 6 pips now.

Ok, I did it, I piped in water with a straw, from my mouth.  The only syringes in the house are wee little 1cc for giving shots to lambs/kids. I rinsed with hydrogen peroxide first...lets hope for the best. pulled one plug, and have added an extra wool sweater around the outside, not constricting any holes of course. (i've had a foam camping matress and 2 seeding heat mats around the bator the whole time as well to keep the temp up, our house is just too old and cold) 6 pips now.

Good to add water. They can get shrink wrapped :/ just watch when they emerge from the shells how they look. Wet and gooey -too much water, struggle to emerge and very dry-not enough

Back
Top Bottom