Losing lots of chickens to some unknown predator

I bought this fence tester today: https://am.gallagher.com/nz/product...-accessories/remotes-and-fence-testers/G50100

I tried it on the goats' fencing first and it was hitting the fourth and fifth lights up (good to excellent). Then I checked the chickens' fencing. It was hitting between the bottom and the third light up (very poor to fair). So the chickens' fence seemingly doesn't have as much oomph. It's pretty windy tonight, and the fence kept jumping around, but I think I got an accurate reading.

I'm going to go down now and set the trap and check the fence again - and look in on my chickens.

Sure sounds a lot like a fox from your description of the kills. Raccoons tend to be messy. First ones never enough so they either take away the kill (drag) or eat it there then go for the next and leave a big mess. A camera ain't going to stop your problem. Set up a medium size animal trap by the entrance. My money's on a fox

Sure sounds a lot like a fox from your description of the kills. Raccoons tend to be messy. First ones never enough so they either take away the kill (drag) or eat it there then go for the next and leave a big mess. A camera ain't going to stop your problem. Set up a medium size animal trap by the entrance. My money's on a fox

Thanks. I set a trap up near where I think it's getting in.

So I had a closer look at the fence. I'm not an electrician at all, so excuse my lack of vocabulary, but I'll try to describe what I found.

There is a nick or cut in the covering to the wire that leads to the black clip that attaches to the rod (I think the rod is for grounding). So a tiny bit of bare wire is exposed. The wire was lying in such a way that the bare spot was touching the rod itself. When I moved the wire so it didn't touch like that, the tester indicated a good to excellent charge on the fence.

I suppose I need to get a new wire and clip? Or can I just put a piece of tape around that spot where the covering is missing?

Cross my fingers that stops the killing.

Thanks so much to everyone who told me to check the fence.

There was a opossum in my trap this morning. I don't know if opossums kill chickens or eat eggs (off to google it as soon as I post this), but I'm not happy that such a large animal got past my fence.

That's a fox. **** things. They're agile, smart, and a fast kill. They kill again and again and stash food in holes for later. They can jump and climb lime crazy!

Back
Top Bottom