Losing our duck eggs, help!

Ibicella

Songster
10 Years
Nov 13, 2009
Everett, WA
I know we have a duck section, but it's hard to get people down there to respond and I need help NOW. Mods can move this post to wherever is necessary but I need HELP.

Ok, I've got three Cayuga ducks, one drake (Paris) and two females (Neri and Persy). We also have three chickens. Everyone grew up together and I have no behavior problems from anybody.

Neri is a first time mother (and this is my first experience with broody ducks) and made a nice little nest along side of the house with 8 eggs on July 25th. She's pretty well protected seemed to be doing well. The chickens ignore her and Paris wanders about by himself, waiting for his ladies to finish up with business. Persy spends a lot of time snuggling quietly with her sister next to the nest, napping, grooming, and providing company. They'd both puff up and silently threaten me if I came near and Persy will jump up to try to lure me away first if I come near. So I was fine about leaving them alone and keep checking on them to a minimum.

I check on the nest today and Neri's lost most of her eggs. There are only 2 left. The rest look to have been smashed and eaten. I'm positive it's Neri and/or Persy that are the culprits.

I candled the two remaining eggs. One has an approximately 1 week old embryo, the other appears to be from her original clutch and is much bigger and older about 3 weeks now.

I do not own a brooder.

What's going on and what do I do?!

I would make some sort of makeshift fence around the nesting duck to protect her from the others.

Yeah, they aren't happy but I've done that now. :(

What about the eggs with the two-week age difference? Neri will hatch out that much older one here soon, but will she stick around on the nest for the younger one if she has a duckling? Is it a lost cause?

That part I'm not sure what to do. Do you happen to have any other ducks or chickens currently sitting on some eggs? You could slip that one under her and let her hatch it out if they are around the same time.

Back
Top Bottom