lost 2 chicks already and another seems to be going

bahamh

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 26, 2014
Long Island
1st chick we lost 2 days after we picked them up started staying off by itself then at the end seemed to be gasping for breath.
2nd chick we just lost this afternoon. She and another chick both seem to be not thriving. They are both different breeds (rock and polish) and I compare them to their respective breeds. The barred rock who passed today had a lump on her belly that someone said may have been her umbilical cord, she was about 1/2 the size of the other barred rock, she would stay off by herself or try to push under the other chicks.
The 3rd chick, our polish who we are still fighting for is a bit smaller than our other polish, stays off by herself, eats and drinks but not nearly as much as the others.
I have been giving them electrolytes and probiatics. As well as mushed hard boiled eggs. Her vent is clear, as was the others. Is there anything else I can try? We had no problems the first time we had chicks, but this bunch is nothing but!
Any thoughts would be helpful. Tia

Keeping them warm and having them drink vitamins with electrolytes in their water as much as possible is about all you can do. A lot of chick problems are from the way they were hatched, the parent stock, or how long they were shipped. The one chick with swelling around the umbilicus could have had omphalitis or mushy chick disease. Hatching problems with incubator temperature or humidity problems, or bacteria can affect a whole hatch.

Back
Top Bottom