Lost 3 chickens last night.

Apr 19, 2024
About two weeks ago I introduced 9 new chicks to my coops. They were about 3 months old with feathers. A couple of the older ones definitely bullied the young chickens but they had a spot in the coop to hide so everything seemed to be going smoothly. Fast forward to today, I found 3 of the babies dead in their hiding spot. No wounds & no blood, no one had gotten into the coop, they were just dead. What do you think could have happened to my chickens?

About two weeks ago I introduced 9 new chicks to my coops. They were about 3 months old with feathers. A couple of the older ones definitely bullied the young chickens but they had a spot in the coop to hide so everything seemed to be going smoothly. Fast forward to today, I found 3 of the babies dead in their hiding spot. No wounds & no blood, no one had gotten into the coop, they were just dead. What do you think could have happened to my chickens?
Could they have been too fearful or even prevented from getting to the water or food?

They could have been starved to death as the adults/resident chickens like to hog the feeders and water dispensers and will fight the newcomers off.

I am sorry you lost them.

Welcome to the BYC community! :frow

Welcome to BYC. Sorry for your loss. I agree that the young ones were probably prevented from eating or drinking. I would separate the young ones until they are similar in size. Today make sure they are all eating and drinking. Watch for signs of coccidiosis (lethargy, standing puffed up, runny poops, and poor appetite.) Corid or amprollium treats coccidiosis.

Back
Top Bottom