Lost all my girls to two German retrivers yesterday..

Dogs from a mile away escaped from their fence with shock collars and all.....I had 12 gauge hardware cloth on the lower 48" and standard chicken wire on the upper 48" and they managed to balance themselves on the water drum (55 gallon) and tear thru the lightweight wire. I would have thought that they would run up into the coop/nesting area for safety but I guess they didn't or the dogs squeezed in those areas to get them....The man accepted the responsibility and paid me 20 bucks each plus fence damage. I had originally told him 40 dollars per bird, but he was so responsible and all, I cut it to 20. They were only a year and a half...so I wasn't sure what they were worth. Now that I am trying to get more to replace them, I wish I had stayed at 40...it's tough this time of year, even in the south. These gals were like pets. Open the gate in the afternoon and they come out and about dark go back in when I called them...just like dogs...oh well, I think of Job in times like these.

I am in Arkansas....that must be a really good/rare breed at $40 a bird (lavender orpingtons or something similar?). Most birds around here for sale command $8-15 each. More rare breeds fetch a bit more. But if you factor in the torn up fencing then yeah that sounds about right. Did he give you his solution to his dogs? Otherwise, it is potentially gonna happen again...and fairly soon.

yep, I wanted 40 per bird to include coop damage. settled for 20 per bird plus coop damage. They were excellent RIR, nothing exotic but they bring 20-25 for good birds here. I had to incinerate them and cleanup all the mess so that's worth something too. Now you may can find something crossed up for 15-20 around here, but I don't know.
I think he's going to get rid of his dogs...not the first incident he has with them since moving here a few months ago. He wanted to kill one but I asked him not to. Heck, I would have if I could have caught them in the act but I was at work. Found the hens 2-3 hours after the fact. My wife was all upset...bad upset, still upset. She found them before I got there. I would post pics but too gruesome.

Back
Top Bottom