Lost babies.

cpnhnzmommy

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 29, 2013
Virginia
Hello all! Sadly, I lost 11 of my 14 feather babies last night to What We suppose to be coyotes. I lost me beautiful "pretty boy " Delaware roo. My poor roo roo silkie rooster was also taken from us. I lost a crippled Cornish game hen who I happened upon but coincidence, but she completely melted my heart. We called her Pee Wee as she was the first chicken We got that was still in the chick stage. My heart hurts for the remaining 8 babies that my children and I hatched over the summer. I love my feathered babies and they are each individuals in my eyes. I'm having a really hard time with this and any support or helpful words would be greatly appreciated.

So sorry for your loss, it is so hard to lose pets and you all must have loved everybody in your flock very much. Hope the ones that survived the attack are doing OK.

We got a Rottweiler who instinctively guards our birds. She wasn't trained to, but she does anyway.

Perhaps you could get a dog , our girl caught a pair of foxes sniffing around the coop & chased them away with gusto.
She would gladly live in with the birds & has no predatory instinct towards them. They are used to her as she spent time with them as chicks.
So sorry about your birds :(

So sorry for your loss... We have also lost some chickens to predators (while free ranging). We understand what you're going through. Good luck with your remaining chickens.

Were they in their coop/run? If you can post some pictures of your coop, many here on BYC, would love to help with some advice on how to improve it so this hopefully won't happen again.

Thank You for all your kind words and suggestions. We have moved and reinforced our night time coop as this is where the attack occurred. We are slowly rebuilding our flock and falling in love with each new bird more everyday. Waiting on 11 eggs I am incubating now that are the brothers and sisters to those we lost. December 8th is the big day!

I'm so very very sorry for your losses! Its always very difficult to loose beloved pets. I too am rebuliding my flock after loosing my girls to a awful respiratory virus that wouldn't respond to antibotics. I cleaned everything and threw away most things they had contact with. Now its time to move foward.its always hard starting over as we will never forget those we have lost. but look to the future and I'm certain your new babies will bring great joy. I know mine do. I'm sorry you had to go through such a great loss. My heart goes out to you. But now look to the future and enjoy those babies that are hatching soon. Post some pictures when they hatch. I wish you the best and again I'm very sorry for your losses.

I will be posting a lot of pictures when my babies hatch! So far i have taken in two Silkie Roo's and several week old Silkie peeps.I was also blessed enough to get in touch with the guy I purchased my first Delaware rooster from and was able to find another to fill the void in my heart. He is actually the little brother of my first Delaware. With each new addition to love, my heart heals a little more. They will never be forgotten! All 11 eggs currently in the bator are also from the same parents of my 8 original babies i lost in the fox attack. We are anxiously awaiting their arrival. I'm sure they will be every bit as wonderful as their brother's and sister's were. :)

Back
Top Bottom