Lost chickens to a flash flood :(

FunClucks

Crowing
Apr 8, 2022
North Alabama
So at 5:30am I sent my son out to do chicken chores, and he came back in a panic telling me there was a flood. No weather alerts came to my phone (I'm signed up for everything), no warnings ahead of time that there might be anything wrong, and I'm not in a flood zone, so this was totally unexpected. Two of the coops were fine but flooded - one of those didn't have high enough perches so the chickens were swimming on their last energy. The third coop was not fine, the top had caved in due to catching water, and smashed a chicken. I couldn't open the door, so we had to cut a hole in the hardware cloth and chain link in the pouring rain to crawl in and rescue the chickens that were huddled on the side of the isolation pen tower. Thank God I recently had the bright idea of stacking up some dog crates as an isolation cage and broody breaker, or we wouldn't have been able to rescue any chickens from that coop. I had staked the dog crates to the ground with 12" landscape stakes and ziptied a smaller crate on top of the large one. It held up to I don't even know how many pounds of water enough so that most of the chickens could congregate on a higher surface.

3 chickens drowned and one was smashed, including my favorite chicken, Chipmunk. We are all so sad about it.

The rest of them miraculously made it. I moved 6 dry 3-month olds in with the big eggers, and 30 chickens (3-month olds plus all the remaining meat chickens/red stars and all of my POL green eggers) went into the bathrooms in the house. One needed a bath to get the mulch out of her feathers, and about ten of them required the hair dryer to make a recovery. Several I was really not sure would make it, but they perked up, and are doing ok now.

And of course I have to work today. Hopefully by the time I finish work, the water will have drained from the third coop tarp and I'll be able to start reconstruction there. The 16 chickens in the brooders in the garage have got to get back outside, but I don't have anywhere to put them yet. And of course it's supposed to possibly flood again tonight, so I have to go get a bunch of pallets to provide high perches in the still working coop that didn't have them...

And yet, I've collected 7 eggs so far today, including 3 eggs from green eggers who had taken an involuntary swim in the coop that collapsed, and from all of my big eggers who were laying. The flood water all went away, and sodden mulch was left, so the big eggers got down from their perch and started laying their eggs in the formerly flooded nest boxes. (I put dry shavings in those after providing food and water.) Chickens are amazingly resilient creatures.

So I'm sad we lost 4, but glad most of them are ok. It was so bad it almost flooded our house. We were going to evacuate, but the road was underwater.

We found a full grown crayfish in the middle of the yard as the flood was receding and rehomed it to the creek at the end of the street, so that was a fun kid activity.

How does the weather service miss something like that???

So sorry about your loss! That has to be so hard. I'm glad that some of your feathered babies are ok. Lots of hugs! :hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs

My grandmother had a similar thing happened in her area. She got like five inches of rain in one hour. So much water came down that it washed away most of her road and people's driveways. And this rain effected not only her town in that effect, but several towns surrounding her. The rain took out heavily traveled roads, an old railroad bed and more with some places having 100ft drops or so from the washouts. Neither my grandmother's area or the surrounding towns are in a flood area. As far as I know, she got no warning. I'm in a nearby town (thankfully missed) and I didn't receive any warnings either.

This flooding is happening a lot and in strange ways. There's slow-moving thunderstorms that can cause this type of flooding. Something that I just learned of, which can cause this type of damage and worst, is an atmospheric river. Those are basically a river in the sky that decides to come down with devastating results and damages. Because of the damage that happened around here recently, we're now cautious of every storm, just because we don't know if another flooding case will happen again.

So sorry about your loss! That has to be so hard. I'm glad that some of your feathered babies are ok. Lots of hugs! :hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs

My grandmother had a similar thing happened in her area. She got like five inches of rain in one hour. So much water came down that it washed away most of her road and people's driveways. And this rain effected not only her town in that effect, but several towns surrounding her. The rain took out heavily traveled roads, an old railroad bed and more with some places having 100ft drops or so from the washouts. Neither my grandmother's area or the surrounding towns are in a flood area. As far as I know, she got no warning. I'm in a nearby town (thankfully missed) and I didn't receive any warnings either.

This flooding is happening a lot and in strange ways. There's slow-moving thunderstorms that can cause this type of flooding. Something that I just learned of, which can cause this type of damage and worst, is an atmospheric river. Those are basically a river in the sky that decides to come down with devastating results and damages. Because of the damage that happened around here recently, we're now cautious of every storm, just because we don't know if another flooding case will happen again.
Thank you! I built Ft Knox coops and tried to think of every thing that might be an issue. No predators for over a year have gotten into my first coop. Never occurred to me a flash flood might even be something to consider. I've lived in this general area for years, and it hasn't been an issue.

Sorry about what happened with your grandmother. The weather has just been crazy!

OH MY! What a tragic event! 😣😪
I wish your family all the best!
Thank you. It was pretty upsetting. I still miss my favorite hen who died. But everyone else who made it through is still doing great. No long term ill effects.

It took two months to fix the coop and get 20 chickens out of my garage - I am very glad that's over!!! Replacing litter and scooping out 50 sq feet of shavings every day for the chickens in the garage was not my happy thing! I rehomed a number of them and ate a few extra roosters, but the remaining birds I refreshed litter for every day for two months are now my absolutely friendliest chickens. They have no fear of me at all, and will come right up to me when I visit the coop. We take some of them for walks. It's a bit more challenging to prevent them from slipping out the coop/run door, as they don't scatter back much when I enter, but I really like being able to reach out and love on a chicken.

Back
Top Bottom