lost goats

teresa42299

Songster
9 Years
Apr 25, 2013
we got 3 baby goats a few weeks ago and last week they got out of their pen. we just got the internet back on. they were fine in their pen for a week and last sunday the neighbor's kids spooked them out while we were gone. the pen was made with pallets and wire mesh. it was temporally till we got something better for them. are they goners or is there a chance they will come back?

Goats are formidable escape artists, and keeping them requires constant attention to their fences. I am afraid to say I don't think they will just reappear as you had them for such a short time it is unlikely that they know where they are from. You could try advertising locally for them as they would probably not go too many miles. Contact any animal shelters in the area in case they have handed in. Ask around generally it is surprising what can be achieved by just asking. Good luck with your search.

I put ads on craigslist, put a sign by the round and asked the neighbors but no luck. im going to see if I can put flyers on street posts. my friend is also keeping an eye out. we live in a wooded area and theres a lot of predators.

I put ads on craigslist, put a sign by the round and asked the neighbors but no luck. im going to see if I can put flyers on street posts. my friend is also keeping an eye out. we live in a wooded area and theres a lot of predators.

You need to increase the size of the area you are searching. Don't just put a few flyers on a few post. Bring fliers to all the nearest animal shelters, ALL the local feed mills/fleet farm/TSC, the grocery stores, and any common community location. Like if there is a Lions club, drop off a flyer there too. In a rural area, you need to get people talking about it so they know to watch out for them!

Goats turn up at animal shelters for cats and dogs, too. There were a pair of lost goats near me that the animal shelter worked to round up. After months of searching, the they couldn't locate any owners. So either the goats were dumped, or the owners did not broadcast about their lost goats very far. Do any of the shelters have facebook pages? If yes, post the goats pictures on them! We use our local animal shelter's facebook pages as part of a lost/found board, and it works to bring critters home! But in a rural community, where not everyone has internet, you need to get out there with flyers everywhere.

Around here, word of mouth is what gets lost cattle, horses, dogs, cats, etc. home again.

I really hope you can bring your babies home. In the meantime, set up a food and watering station for them near the pen they lived in. Since they were there for a few weeks, they should know where food and water was. If you have one, set up a game camera to look at the feeding station, check the memory every day. The goats may becoming back when you aren't around.

Last edited:
we unfortunately don't have any pictures of them. we had them for a week and they been missing for close to 2 weeks. I'll post on facebook.

Does their breeder have any pictures? If they took a few digital pictures, that is all you need.

Or a description should suffice. Pictures just help people out in what to look for.

I wish you the best of luck! We had someone let a horse out here in September while I was gone for the day. The neighbor saw him walking up our driveway, tried to catch him, the horse ran, and there hasn't been a single sighting or report of him since. I put up posters, adds on fb/craigslist, contacted all the shelters in surrounding counties and police departments, but we have had no luck:( I hope you have better luck than I did and get your babies back!

thank you. I hope you find your horse. we found one of our goats today. its been almost 3 weeks since they got out. the one we found is mean. we have him in a crate inside since its cold outside. when we try to get him out to walk him he stomps his hoof and put his horns down like he's going to charge. is there anything that would help him gentle?

Back
Top Bottom