Lost layer to Reproductive Infection last week- 2nd chicken acting same- Worried Infection will spre

sherburne'sFabulousEggare

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 21, 2011
Hello fellow chicken farmers,
I have a large city flock of 16 hens. Last Monday, I took my "Snow white" Silver-laced Wyand. (3 yrs old); to the vet for: gasping, lethargy, poor appetite, and swollen hind end. Vet took sample of fluid from vent- diagnosed a bacterial reproductive tract infection, it was so advanced that fluid was impeding on her lungs. So I had to have her put down.
I was concerned that this illness could spread to my other chickens and was told that this was not something that spread.

Fast forward to yesterday- less than 7 days after losing "Snow white":

My black Austrolop hen "Cinderella" age 3: showing almost identical symptoms except her hind end is not as swollen. But she is laying almost on her side, and now is gasping.

Do I need to do a major decontamination of my hen house and run? Suggestions?

Sorry for your loss and your vet is correct, it's not spread, so no need to clean anything. This is a common problem in mature hens... I've seen EYP, ascites or ovituct cancer in at least twelve of my older hens in the last year.

-Kathy

Update!
Cinderella does not have infection! Instead, she got fluids and anti-inflammatory meds for 4 days.
So $100 later, still have my chicken> :)

Vet said it was an inflammatory issue- her leg was swollen. Now several months later, my daughter did some research and thinks the chicken has gout.

She does limp around, but feathers are shiny and clean, has put on some weight ( less than when she was active and laying daily). I think of her as my "Gouty" girl.

Back
Top Bottom