Lost my Australorp after seeing the Vet

tingovan

Hatching
Sep 26, 2023
My golden Australorp had sour crop. Took her to the Vet. They drained 30 ml from her crop. The Vet bill was $250. They sent fungal medicine home with me. She was doing better when I brought her home. I gave her the medicine before bed and in the morning. 6 hours later, she was dead. Can Vets really save chickens or should I just let it run it's course the next time I have a sick chicken? I really had high hopes that the Vet was going to save her. She was only 9 months old. I'm wondering if all of my chickens fall under DNR (do not resuscitate).

My golden Australorp had sour crop. Took her to the Vet. They drained 30 ml from her crop. The Vet bill was $250. They sent fungal medicine home with me. She was doing better when I brought her home. I gave her the medicine before bed and in the morning. 6 hours later, she was dead. Can Vets really save chickens or should I just let it run it's course the next time I have a sick chicken? I really had high hopes that the Vet was going to save her. She was only 9 months old. I'm wondering if all of my chickens fall under DNR (do not resuscitate).
Welcome to the BYC community! :frow

I am sorry you lost your pullet despite having her treated by the vet.

Sometimes, a bird is already too far gone to be saved as they hide their discomfort and illness very well, so when we finally realise that they are sick and need help, it can be too late already.

But this should not keep us from trying to the best of our ability.

And spending some time with our flock while observing them during daytime and checking them regularly once a week when they are roosting at night, can help detect early anything out of their normal behaviour and often prevent serious cases.

Back
Top Bottom