Lost my Easter Egger

NewYorkMama

Songster
7 Years
Apr 17, 2017
Finger Lakes, NY
I lost my buddy. She was only 2 years old and one of the cuddliest, sweetest, people-oriented chickens I’ve ever met.

She would follow us around the yard, help us garden, then hop out of the yard to perch on the porch chair and look in the window when we went inside. A fox got her. She was always flying up & over the fence, out on a jaunt. Probably just out looking for her people. 😢

I’d say it gets easier every time a hen dies. And I suppose in some ways it does, after that first time. But it’s never easy. Especially with one so bonded to you.

I know where the foxes live, right between us and 2 other farms. I respect their right to exist and raise their little fox families each year. It’s part of living rurally. But I sure wish they’d move, because losing chickens every year is taking an emotional toll.

I am so sorry for your loss as well, EE's are such sweethearts so I can understand your pain and loss.
I also believe we are all part of God's creation, but we do have dominion over the animals, so when anything attacks or attempts to attack our girls I will protect them at any cost. I have dispatched many a raccoon, possum and snake, never had a fox problem but I'd do the same if they are making any attempt on our girls. I won't blame you if you don't feel the same, I can respect everyone's right to do what they feel is best. I don't enjoy the deed, but coming home to 1 less chicken is much worse for me than eliminating a threat to my flock.

I am so sorry for your loss as well, EE's are such sweethearts so I can understand your pain and loss.
I also believe we are all part of God's creation, but we do have dominion over the animals, so when anything attacks or attempts to attack our girls I will protect them at any cost. I have dispatched many a raccoon, possum and snake, never had a fox problem but I'd do the same if they are making any attempt on our girls. I won't blame you if you don't feel the same, I can respect everyone's right to do what they feel is best. I don't enjoy the deed, but coming home to 1 less chicken is much worse for me than eliminating a threat to my flock.
I don’t believe vengeance or violence will make me feel better, and even if it would, I know killing one fox won’t stop the foxes. 😞 There will always be more foxes, hawks, eagles, coyotes, bears, raccoons, weasels, fishers, martens, and other predators that live in our area here… and chickens are prey animals. We just all do our best to keep them safe. Thank you for your kind words.

Back
Top Bottom