Lost my youngest girl

JennyG0123

In the Brooder
Jun 21, 2022
This morning I woke up to find my youngest face down in the hen house. I’m not sure what happened she seemed to be fine all week long. We just started letting them back out in the yard because the weather has started to get nice. This is the second time this has happened on the past two months. Both were younger than the rest. They were born in September and layer by one of our Easter egger. Dad is a silver laced polish. Could it be because there cross breed? I’ve checked and there aren’t any marking or anything on her or the previous girl. I was wondering if anyone had an advice on what might be the cause.

Edited to say, sorry I misread this at first. Sorry for your loss. Easter eggers are basically mutts as well. That should not be a problem. Disregard the following. Sometimes a short video of the chicken walking may give us clues. Upload it to YouTube or Vimeo with a link posted here. Is the chicken low in pecking order, or bullied? I would observe the behavior to see if the chicken is having balance issues, or gets stipulation on it’s side or back. What do you feed?

If you still have the body, your state vet can perform a necropsy to get a diagnosis. Keep the body cold. Here is a list of state vets:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html
I have had chickens who were young and suddenly were found dead. Look her over for anything unusual such as a crop impaction, vent pecking injuries, or other issues. Look over your others for lice or mites, since mites can kill.

Back
Top Bottom