Lost our best friends "magpie colony"

bantymum

Songster
12 Years
Mar 3, 2007
4 hours from Sydney Australia
Hi all, Im not sure wether you have magpies over there, they are beautiful black and white birds.
Anyhow, we had a colony of about 6 very tame magpies in our area. They got very friendly towards us and we had this wonderful connection with them.
On Friday a colony of magpies from another area decided that they should move in here and kick the others out, so they beat them all up, broke their backs and now they are all gone.
I took 2 young ones in overnight but realised their injuries were too severe to treat so the vet euthanised them. They were such sweet little youngsters letting me feed them without a fight.

We now have these new ones which dont know us, are not tame and dont sound the same.
We are all feeling very empty and angry.
Sorry, I needed to vent and if any Aussies are reading this, protect your local magpie colony cause this is what may happen.

hit.gif
Aww!

Oh no! We dont have Magpies here in INdiana, but they are in Alaska...and I miss them. We had one that came and sat on my daughters bedroom windowsill....every morning..so sweet. I am so very sorry for your loss.

Thankyou !!
Well today a small girl from up the street came knocking on my door to tell me that there was ANOTHER injured magpie up around the corner who couldnt move!
So I donned my raincoat and grabbed the cat box and went looking. I found her on the grass next to a path lying there on her tummy with her head down, she looked so sad and it was raining.
I picked her up and took her home to assess any damage.
She is a nestling who has been attacked by bumping off the nest and has fallen out of the tree.
Either that or she was learning to fly when she was attacked, probably by the same intruder flock.
She can stand up well so no breaks in the leg or back at least, and is feeding well too.
Its been a long time since ive crop fed a bird but for now I just fed her with the tip of my fingers and dropped the food into her very wide open mouth.
She is such a cutiepie.
Hope she is ok. Ill assess her again tommorrow morning.
I made her a nest with straw and pineshavings and decorated her cage with tree branches to make her feel at home.
Im praying for her.
I cannot believe that there are so many injured birds all at once, world war 4!!

Last edited:
I have heard of magpies, but they don't have any around here. I would of never guessed that birds could flock together and actually start a war with other birds. I know birds could be territorial but not to the point of killing off rival flocks. Are they similar to a crow?

Aww...so sorry to hear about the loss of magpies. We have them here but they don't get too close. What with the cats and skittish chickens thinking EVERYTHING that flies over them is a HAWK, HAWK, HAWK!
roll.png

Still, they come close enough that I see them. They are such beautiful birds.
love.gif

Keep us posted on the fledgling's condition and you are awesome for taking her in. I hope she recuperates soon!
fl.gif

Peace-

Pedro~:-V

Back
Top Bottom