Alexisvalley

In the Brooder
Mar 6, 2023
So my family has a rooster and almost a week ago he escaped and hasn’t come home. I didn’t realize then, but now I’m realizing that us trying to capture him probably scared him and I think he’s lost now or in hiding. From the sound of his crow that I’ve heard it sounds like he’s maybe a block or two away but in a field with a bunch of brush. I’ve heard him a few times but he doesn’t make noise as much as usual and it’s also distant now because he’s farther away so I don’t know how to locate him exactly. Anyways my question is how can I lure him out from hiding? I’ve put food in all the areas I think he is but I don’t know if he’s come out or not to eat. I’m a super big emotional animal lover and my family thinks I’m crazy for it, but it just kills me knowing he’s out and possibly not eating. I really need help here I don’t know what to do or how to get him home. :(

I'm so sorry this happened! Chickens are very social... There's a decent shot he'll wander back to rejoin his flock. In addition, if he's too skittish to hunt in the day, you could try looking for him after dark when he won't be as mobile. My roo crows when the neighbor's rooster crows. Maybe you can use a video / sound clip to get him going near bedtime and get closer that way.

Sorry if this isn't super helpful, just stuff I might try if it was my boy. Hope he comes home soon!!

I'm so sorry this happened! Chickens are very social... There's a decent shot he'll wander back to rejoin his flock. In addition, if he's too skittish to hunt in the day, you could try looking for him after dark when he won't be as mobile. My roo crows when the neighbor's rooster crows. Maybe you can use a video / sound clip to get him going near bedtime and get closer that way.

Sorry if this isn't super helpful, just stuff I might try if it was my boy. Hope he comes home soon!!
I’ll definitely try using a sound!!! Thank you so much!!

Can you have your neighbors on the look out? You need to find out where he's roosting, then capture him at dusk.
The neighbors are on the lookout thankfully!! The rooster is actually right next to the neighbor who has 9 hens and I think that’s why he chose to hide over in that area. Thank you for your help!!

He should be eating enough, so that wouldn't be my first concern. :hugs

I locate my lost roosters by crowing. They'll often cluck in offence, which will give them away. Some roosters will crow back after a few of my crows.

To lure, I use hens. Sometimes you can just leave some "noisy" hens in a cage where the rooster can hear them. Or, other times, I just get a squawky hen and get her squawking. That'll sometimes call in a rooster.

Once you have the rooster where you want him, you trap him. Having a three walled cage (open end set up for the rooster to go in) against a long fence works best as you can chase the rooster down it and capture him in the cage.

If you can't catch him, wait for dusk. Have the rooster located before hand, and watch him from a distance until he finds himself a perch. After he's settled down and sleeping, sneak up on him with a red light and capture him that way.

He should be eating enough, so that wouldn't be my first concern. :hugs

I locate my lost roosters by crowing. They'll often cluck in offence, which will give them away. Some roosters will crow back after a few of my crows.

To lure, I use hens. Sometimes you can just leave some "noisy" hens in a cage where the rooster can hear them. Or, other times, I just get a squawky hen and get her squawking. That'll sometimes call in a rooster.

Once you have the rooster where you want him, you trap him. Having a three walled cage (open end set up for the rooster to go in) against a long fence works best as you can chase the rooster down it and capture him in the cage.

If you can't catch him, wait for dusk. Have the rooster located before hand, and watch him from a distance until he finds himself a perch. After he's settled down and sleeping, sneak up on him with a red light and capture him that way.
I just worry that he’s too scared to come out of hiding to eat but maybe he is eating I don’t know lol I’m just a worrier. That’s a good idea I just don’t really have a fence to be able to do that with sadly but I’m definitely going to try the crowing part just so I at least know where he is. Thank you so much!!!! ❤️

Back
Top Bottom