Lost then found but not mine?

-Chanticleer-

Crowing
May 18, 2023
Texas
My Coop
My Coop
So, I made two huge mistakes in the matter of 24hrs🤦‍♀️. Mistake number 1. I forgot to latch my hutch last night something tore into the enclosure and ate/let out all 12 quails. Feathers where every where just heaps of them. I then was scrolling through next door app and saw a women who lives not that far from me post a quail that had showed up at her place randomly that morning. I replied thinking it was mine. We met up i took the quail and went home. My husband looked it and said that is not our bird. So I pulled up pics of the only bird we had that had the same coloring and sure enough it wasn’t. Easy mistake I made as I was excited at the thought that one survived. So now I have what looks like a jumbo quail. I’ve posted it back on the next door app but as of right now is this a male or female? And what color? I’m going to update the post with the right info on next door. TIA!

Attachments

• IMG_1151.jpeg
    IMG_1151.jpeg
    374.8 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_1150.jpeg
    IMG_1150.jpeg
    304.8 KB · Views: 28
Sorry about your flock :( I agree, looks to be silver. Super pretty bird! You can vent sex, but I usually just wait to hear a crow or see eggs. I’ve noticed my males tend to crow allllll the dang time when they're alone or cant see the flock, but maybe mine are just more annoying than others :p

I don’t have a scale but here’s another pic. Looks like something tried to bite it right in the bend of its leg it’s been walking normal on it though eating drinking fine and poop looks fine. I looked at its vent and no bulb/foam.

Edited to add a pic of my missing quail to scale.

Attachments

• IMG_1164.jpeg
    IMG_1164.jpeg
    299.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1163.jpeg
    IMG_1163.jpeg
    298.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0341.jpeg
    IMG_0341.jpeg
    370.9 KB · Views: 12
I don’t have a scale but here’s another pic. Looks like something tried to bite it right in the bend of its leg it’s been walking normal on it though eating drinking fine and poop looks fine. I looked at its vent and no bulb/foam.

Edited to add a pic of my missing quail to scale.
That mark on the leg sounds like it got caught on something. I cant imagine them escaping a predator that is actively biting their leg

Probably I have no clue it recover pretty fine. I was able to give it to its rightful owner. My husband surprised me with chicks. Predator proof the new space for the chicks. Everything is covered with hardware cloth. Found the culprit which was a black cat found it lurking in the area where the previous enclosure was. Found it hissing at my chickens outside their run. Today it was back sitting waiting next to their feed bowl. I’m going to try and catch it so I can take it to the pound.

Back
Top Bottom