Lost Two Girls Today

Captain13

Songster
Sep 6, 2022
Kathleen, Ga
No obvious problems. Both laid eggs this morning. Crops were what I would expect after a normal day, full but not hard. Normal appetite, normal poop, and I’m changing water every two hours due to the heat. Also running fans in the coop and a fan blowing down the run. I go in the coop every morning before sunrise and check each¿h of them before they get off the roost. Nothing abnormal. I changed their water at 4 PM and when I went back at 6 PM two dead in the coop. They were had both wallowed out a low spot and just had their heads forward on the ground. Maybe it was Sudden Death Syndrome and that´s that. Sad way to end my day.

I agree with run versus coop. They spend almost all day in the run, even today. Fans were going inside the coop all day and there was a breeze here all day but it was still very hot. Coop and run are in the shade except for about an hour at noon. It could have been heat stroke. I don’t know.

It could have been heat stroke. When it's very hot, there better off outside and not in the coop. Cause the coop traps heat and can have a baking effect.
This is why I decided to go the open plan route on my setup. A secure run/coop, that is really just a big steel cage with a roof on it and place to roost that is sheltered from direct wind for stormy nights.

No obvious problems. Both laid eggs this morning. Crops were what I would expect after a normal day, full but not hard. Normal appetite, normal poop, and I’m changing water every two hours due to the heat. Also running fans in the coop and a fan blowing down the run. I go in the coop every morning before sunrise and check each¿h of them before they get off the roost. Nothing abnormal. I changed their water at 4 PM and when I went back at 6 PM two dead in the coop. They were had both wallowed out a low spot and just had their heads forward on the ground. Maybe it was Sudden Death Syndrome and that´s that. Sad way to end my day.
Very sorry for your loss, that’s always hard 😢

So sorry for your loss, especially when so sudden.

Back
Top Bottom