Lot of threads, 8wk old chicks, what to start feeding them?

simple smiths

In the Brooder
Jan 14, 2017
There is so much info I am lost.... what should I buy to start mixing with these 8wk old chicks "chick starter"?

thanks!

If you were doing medicated this is the age you can switch to unmedicated. If you weren't using medicated then continue with same feed until they start laying then go to a layer feed if you wish. Or in a few more weeks you can switch to pellet form if you want. I move flock from starter grower crumble to a turkey/gamebird finisher (pellet)around 10 weeks of age. When birds start laying provide oyster shell on the side for calcium suplement.

There is so much info I am lost.... what should I buy to start mixing with these 8wk old chicks "chick starter"?

thanks!

Look at the bag. Virtually every bag of feed I've seen has feeding instructions clearly printed on it, including when to switch from one type of feed to another.
Other than protein and calcium, there isn't a vast difference in the nutrient balance. However, each manufacturer formulates their different feeds to match the nutritional needs of the birds for which it was prepared. The manufacturer knows much better what is in the feed than any of us hazarding a guess.
It is simple. Read the bag.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the info. Just one more question, when can we start feeding them lettuce, corn, or other table scraps? Are there certain things to avoid? I've read that once they start laying (we have a while I know) to not feed them garlic, onions, or peppers or you'll end up with flavored eggs. Thanks again for all your expert advice, it is greatly appreciated :)

I'd not worry about anything flavoring the eggs, unless they get a lot of fish, or fish meal. Flax seed can also give an off flavor. You can use up all of your starter, then use a grower, or multi-flock (around 18% protein) until they are laying. Some people keep birds on multi-flock indefinitely, others switch to layer. If you don't use layer, you'll need to offer oyster shell and/or egg shell on the side, and may want to do so even if they are on layer once they start laying. If you keep them on the higher protein feed (18%) you can give them some table scraps. general recommendation is for it to be less than 10% of their diet.

Back
Top Bottom