lots of broodys who to break first

junior67

Free Ranging
Jan 29, 2021
MA
so I have 5 or 6 broodys. I had lent out my smaller crate to someone for a puppy and they are still using it and I feel bad asking for it back. Of course a few weeks after I lent it out one of my girls went broody. Well I am now up to 6 but I THINK the first one is finally breaking. I forgot to go out and check last night if she went on the roost or in the box but she was out yesterday evening and out this morning. I am home today so will keep an eye on her.

I bought a crate but it is HUGE so too big for my coop, still in search of a cheap small used one that I can use in the coop since I don't like to keep them in the run all night even though it is predator proof so know i would be up all night worrying.

first question should I wait till I get a smaller crate that will fit in the coop to try to break them? my plan is to set up the big one in the run and put at least 2 in there since it is plenty big enough and let them out at night and make sure they go on the roost (but sure they will jump down).......

2nd question. Who would you try to break first? The ones that have been broody the least amount of time (one went broody 1-2 days ago) or the ones broody the longest?? I think the ones the longest will take longer and the shortest will hopefully take less time, but the ones the longest have been having less to eat the longest as well...... IF the first girl is in fact still broody she is going in there since she has gotten very thin and has been broody quite a while. The others are still nice and heavy at least.

The way I break mine is to put them in the broody breaker (elevated with a wire bottom) for 72 hours before I let them out. I see no benefit in letting them out once a day. Usually 72 hours is enough but occasionally one will go back in for another day or two if she doesn't break.

My main broody buster is a 3' x 6' brooder in the coop. I've had as many as 3 broodies in there at one time. I give them food, water, and nothing solid to use as a nest.

Whether or not you try it in your run is up to you. My run is not predator proof so I don't.

I don't know that it matters which one you do first. I could come up with reasons to do any of them. To me that is a personal preference. The important thing is to get started.

Before a hen even starts laying eggs she adds extra fat in case she goes broody. That fat is what they mostly live on so they can stay on the nest taking care of the eggs instead of needing to be off looking for food and water. It is normal for a hen to lose weight as that fat is used up. That does not mean she is unhealthy or weakened. I would not worry about a broody hen losing weight as that excess fat is used up. That's the way it is supposed to work. But she will have to replace that fat before she starts laying again. That can take a while.

I love having broody birds. that means more babies.

but to break them try holding them in a pool of water for a few seconds.

The way I break mine is to put them in the broody breaker (elevated with a wire bottom) for 72 hours before I let them out. I see no benefit in letting them out once a day. Usually 72 hours is enough but occasionally one will go back in for another day or two if she doesn't break.

My main broody buster is a 3' x 6' brooder in the coop. I've had as many as 3 broodies in there at one time. I give them food, water, and nothing solid to use as a nest.

Whether or not you try it in your run is up to you. My run is not predator proof so I don't.

I don't know that it matters which one you do first. I could come up with reasons to do any of them. To me that is a personal preference. The important thing is to get started.

Before a hen even starts laying eggs she adds extra fat in case she goes broody. That fat is what they mostly live on so they can stay on the nest taking care of the eggs instead of needing to be off looking for food and water. It is normal for a hen to lose weight as that fat is used up. That does not mean she is unhealthy or weakened. I would not worry about a broody hen losing weight as that excess fat is used up. That's the way it is supposed to work. But she will have to replace that fat before she starts laying again. That can take a while.
The crate I have is 42"x 30" I think so way too big to put in my coop. Guess I wait and try to get a smaller one for my coop. I have a brooder built into my coop but it is filled with 17 chicks at the moment so I can't use that.

I normally use the smaller crate in the coop and most of mine break within 2-3 days. But lending out the smaller crate that isn't an option right now until I can find a smaller crate to use for the coop.

I normally don't worry but this broody has been broody for about 4 weeks and is sooo light and her bones were quite pronounced which made me worried.

I love having broody birds. that means more babies.

but to break them try holding them in a pool of water for a few seconds.
Lol. I have 17 babies in the brooder that I hatched the end of March that I am still trying to sell or I would let them each sit on some eggs. Lol

Back
Top Bottom