Lots of feathers???

They get free feeding of organic lay crumble, free range of the yard all day, kitchen scraps(fruit, vegetable, some meat), oatmeal w/plain yogurt, dried mealworms, dried grubs, dried shrimp, and various seeds occassionally.

Just a few more shook out but only a few.
They seem happy and are definitely active...last night they did try to roost on the fence under the out door motion detector light..was rather funny/odd
My thought, let me know if it is possible...having grown up with chickens I know the difference between their calls when something physically has gotten to them vs the startled/something scared me and you need to come see (they settle right down when they see us)...Could they have, in a startled state in the dark, flapped around causing feather loss all over...there were no obvious clumps of feathers missing even though it looked like some on the ground. There were feathers in and out of the pen like a lot flapping around in the dark took place. Ince we came out with lights on, everyone was fine and calmed right down...and the rest of the day was normal, 2 layed eggs which is normal a few days a week for a couple not to lay, and eating and begging for treats was normal. Only thing different in the diet the day before was they all shared a 1/2 of Krispy Kreme donut (I know, not healthy it just went out with scraps and they will go after bread og any kind) and if that can cause that I will never eat another myself!

Last edited:
The pen is covered with plastic chicken fencing, then covered in palm frongs...today I added bamboo fencing to the top with the palm frongs on top to create more shade. I also tied palm frongs around where they roost to create even more privacy then the bamboo fencing provided.
I did discover where something had tried to pull back the bamboo fencing on the back side the the cage where their roosts are...so I am convinced this is what scared them off of the roost...my guess is possum or racoon but could have been a coyote nosing in too...
We are thinking of running a hot wire around the outside of the pen and/or motion lights...has anyone used these methods to keep nocturnal predators away?

Last edited:
I am sure now it was a racoon...the vlump of feathers came from my Ancona hen...just noticed a bald patch that is growing back in...only thing that could have reached in and grabbed her would be racoon...going to reingorce the lower areas so little grabby hands can't reach in if they get scared off of the perch...when I am home they are locked in the coop that is in the chainlink covered enclosure...has anyone else been successful at keeping racoons out?

Raccoons are minor concern for me while they hit flocks belonging to neighbors very hard. Two systems used here although using one would still give good protection. Before getting into systems, I make so chickens roost up in locations raccoon can not reach. Additionally traps out much of time as a sort of monitoring system to detect raccoons getting past defenses. Defense system likely most relevant to you is based on hotwire. Hotwire can be placed in close proximity to pen side raccoon might explore as trying to get to chickens. Wire is 6" both from ground and pen. Perimeter wire 6" from ground also around core area almost all birds kept in at night. Raccoons seem not real good at getting past such wire. Another wire setup I use for groups of American Dominiques that effectively roost on ground is electrified poultry netting which is very effective but not always good for a backyard because of looks. Most of time all three hotwire approaches I have going. Additionally I have dogs which is a pricey approach by all measures I can think of.

Neighbors here with problems mostly use just the Fort Knox approach although the setups have more in common with 7/11. Many losses or efforts by raccoons could be prevented by making so raccoons can not get close enough to birds such they are motivated to chew or pry the rest of way there.

Raccoons are minor concern for me while they hit flocks belonging to neighbors very hard. Two systems used here although using one would still give good protection. Before getting into systems, I make so chickens roost up in locations raccoon can not reach. Additionally traps out much of time as a sort of monitoring system to detect raccoons getting past defenses. Defense system likely most relevant to you is based on hotwire. Hotwire can be placed in close proximity to pen side raccoon might explore as trying to get to chickens. Wire is 6" both from ground and pen. Perimeter wire 6" from ground also around core area almost all birds kept in at night. Raccoons seem not real good at getting past such wire. Another wire setup I use for groups of American Dominiques that effectively roost on ground is electrified poultry netting which is very effective but not always good for a backyard because of looks. Most of time all three hotwire approaches I have going. Additionally I have dogs which is a pricey approach by all measures I can think of.

Neighbors here with problems mostly use just the Fort Knox approach although the setups have more in common with 7/11. Many losses or efforts by raccoons could be prevented by making so raccoons can not get close enough to birds such they are motivated to chew or pry the rest of way there.

Thanks, we may try the jotwire if the lights dont work.

Back
Top Bottom