lots of pics, would like to know breeds

EverMystique1

Chirping
6 Years
May 31, 2013
Burr Oak, Michigan
I finally got around to snapping pictures of my birds, and I would really appreciate help in identifying their breeds.

I know the last pic is of my rooster. I have been told he is RIR.

And the 6 juveniles, DH thinks the 2 black, and the white with the beige neck are roosters, too. Would like help figuring that out.

Disregard the bare butts. They allow each others feathers to grow back for the winter, but like to strip them in the summer.

Did you get them from Townline? That will narrow the options considerably. Looks like maybe white leghorns, a barred rock, a silver laced Wyandotte, Black australorp (or maybe Jersey Giant?), the white one with the black legs is probably an Easter Egger, and the white one with the red/brown patches is an Amber Link (again, if they're from Townline). The red colored ones could be hatchery RIRs, or likely production reds. If they have white-tipped tails then they are probably ISA Browns.

If they're getting ready to lay, the boys would definitely have saddle and hackle feathers and I don't *see* those in any of the pictures, but it could just be the camera angle

Saddle feathers are the skinny, really pointy feathers that are just above the tail, and hackle feathers are the skinny, point, almost hair-like feathers that grow on the neck. Here's a picture of my rooster. His hackle and saddle feathers are dark blue, so they're easy to see......saddle go from just before the tail, down almost to his leg.

Wow! Awesome information! Thank you. I got 19 from a lady in White Pigeon, 11 from a family friend in Burr Oak, the known roo and his girls from my sister. So, really, i don't know the origins of any of them. I was guessing on the black austrolorp, myself.

The ones you mentioned DO have white tail feathers, so those most likely ate the ISA browns, then.

I will see if the chicks will let me get better pictures of them. By the hackle feathers, DH may be right about the white with the tan neck. Kind of hoping so, because it would be beautiful to breed.

No Roos except the last boy.. Production breed he is.
They are simply production breeds.. The whites I'm thinking either mutts or leghorns.... Black, austrolorp. Red, production breed (too many similar ones to say 'oh ya it's a [breed name]' )
There's a few mutts, the black skinned white one is, the first looks to be as well..
Ill tell ya this, there probably good layers :)

that tooster is not a production red! production red roosters are white, and look at its comb, it looks like a la fleche to me.
and there is a white one with dark eggs it looks like an easter egger possibly and the barred one a dominique hen :)
there brown ones are production reds

that tooster is not a production red! production red roosters are white, and look at its comb, it looks like a la fleche to me. and there is a white one with dark eggs it looks like an easter egger possibly and the barred one a dominique hen
smile.png
there brown ones are production reds
First off I said 'production BREED'.
He's a production breed with either a messed up comb or a result of his genes. La flèche are black.
There is no barred hen, it's a silver laced Wyandotte. The brown ones are likely cinnamon queens, ISA browns, or just some sort of production breed, not production red though, there very deep red and have a much wider frame. EEs are only EEs if they are a mutt with blue or green egg gene, not by the color of the legs (I'm assuming you mean legs not eggs)

Edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator:
the 3rd picture is a barred hen, and production reds are sex linked so that the hens are brown and the roosters are white! so you need to learn about sex linking and you do get other colors of la fleche there just not standardised in America.
And then you tell me not to make a fool of myself... https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/809967/what-breed-are-these#post_11730257
how do you explane this if thats not making a fool of YOURSELF!

Yes, they are good layers. We average a dozen a day from the production hens. Those free ranging with the roo give an egg a piece every day... well, those whoare not currently playing mommy. 1 of those, plus 1 I believe to be at least part black australorp give me 2 fertile eggs every day right now. At the point where I can't wait for a little cooler weather because I am running out of room for chicks. Lol.

Well, I moved the juvenikes inyo the hrn house tonight. Had to make room for at least some of the 20 chicks in the brooder to be moved outside. I think I have at least 7 ready to go out. Can't wait for them all to be outside. They are making my house stinky.

Back
Top Bottom