loud as heck.. and just way too early

Bluemonster107

Songster
Apr 16, 2019
Fresno, California
I have been trying to think of ways to quiet the one big teen boy I have.
There are only 4 quail in an outdoor aviary type enclosure. One boy gets up at like 4:30 am and just coo-coo-coos for over an hour.. no joke.. like pretty constant.
So was trying to think of ideas to curb that...
Maybe making a solid wall “coop” room in the enclosure and lock him up at night? Not sure if they need to have their food and water throughout the night? And if he should be isolated or locked up with the rest?? Or put him in a cage in the garage at night like solitary confinement
Or just give him to a friend???
All ideas and suggestions!!! Throw them my way please!!!

Dinner? :drool

Okay, maybe that's a bit blood-thirsty (hungry), but I know a lot of us here raise the birds for eggs and meat, and you have to choose which ones to cull somehow, right?

Dinner? :drool

Okay, maybe that's a bit blood-thirsty (hungry), but I know a lot of us here raise the birds for eggs and meat, and you have to choose which ones to cull somehow, right?
True... however..I just have them as pets with occasional egg use.... so I really don’t need to keep him at all.. he is a beautiful bird though. He is a recessive white and absolutely no markings and a big ol jumbo.... but alas... he is just a noise maker at this point! Lol
I guess he really is just more trouble to keep

There's certain birds that will do the assembly call or crow with dozens of birds around them. I suggested recording the 'tick tick' sound the quail make and play it back to them to make them shut up. If one quail makes that sound, they all freeze and stay dead silent.

I'm not sure that's the best plan. That's an alarm sound, after all. I'd imagine it would scare them pretty badly to have alarm sounds constantly going off- they might think there were predators constantly around.

I had no idea about the “tick tick” sound.. i don’t plan on going. To that extent .. I got rid of the screamer anyway... but thanks for the info on the sound... I have blue jays that scare off smaller birds in our trees and they make a sound similar to that... very interesting

Was he housed near other males? Sometimes if another male is near they will crow. Or maybe he just liked the sound of his own voice.

Was he housed near other males? Sometimes if another male is near they will crow. Or maybe he just liked the sound of his own voice.
Only all in one outdoor aviary..At the time I only had 2 males and two females... my other “male” is my little handicap guy.. he can kind of rooster.. getting a little better.. but more muffled sound.
I really think he just loved to hear himself!! Lol

Back
Top Bottom