Loud Hen , out of Coop In the Dark!

jonesgirl

Songster
10 Years
Mar 23, 2009
Nevada
One of my hens last night... Well this morning was out of her coop clucking SO LOUD!!! There were no Roosters crowing yet. It was 5 in the morning and still dark and she's walking around clucking her little heart out...
barnie.gif

My hens always stay in their coop until about 7 or so, depending on the morning, but NERVER when it is still dark outside...

What could be making her do this???

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Hens and roosters both will make noise if they a. hear something or b. see something. Unless you were there, you have no way of knowing.

Or, maybe, she had to lay an eggs?
idunno.gif
I would bet all of my money that something was frightening her, though, and she was telling the others to be alert.

The only time I have had a hen come out at night, it was because of a predator.

Tidbit was attacked by a Possum. Luckily she only lost a few feathers.

Several years ago, Old Momma lost 3 chicks to a Rat that had found her nest and babies. She had the rest out in the yard at 3 in the morning trying to get them away from harm. Actually one of the her chicks was in fact Tidbit.

Matt

Yeah I figured something frightened her...

We had a coyote in the way back of our yrad last night,, 2 fences away from the coop, but that could be it.. OR...
I thought it would be a good idea to put their food in the coop with them last night because I get bunnies and chipmunks, probably mice too eating it at night...

THey may have found thier way up the ramp...

I may have to lock them in at night, to keep her from running right into a coyotes mouth, silly hen!

The only time that's happened to me is when a predator is in the coop. Once a skunk, twice a possum. I've learned to recognize a hen getting up in the dark as a sign that something is definitely wrong.

Back
Top Bottom