Low cost predator fencing

Rainman

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 29, 2008
Woodinville WA.
I am still in the planning stages of my small farm and one cost I was flinching at was the cost of predator proofing, mainly from large predators like dogs and coyotes.

Looking at sufficient welded mesh wire fencing and all the digging and fence posts involved would be over $15,000 to securely enclose my five acres.

I recently found this document. Using this method I believe I can get the cost down to about $3000. The land I have is flat and that is conducive to this method. Leveling and ground preparation would add some cost but no where near the cost of using woven wire fence.

The key is high strength galvanized steel wire that can be stretched over long distances without fence posts. It only needs strong corner posts and inexpensive fiberglass line posts to maintain wire spacing. I will make runs of up to 600’, corner to corner.

If you rural members have problems with dogs or the like you may want to try this.

http://extension.oregonstate.edu/catalog/pdf/pnw/pnw225.pdf

i think if you buy the cheap fencing you might regret it a few years down the line....BUT if you do buy the cheap stuff.. you should invest in some HOTWIRE.. at least 2 strands.. one top and one bottom..

Quote:
The article he linked to is about hot fencing - high tension electric (usually at least 5 wires).

Quote:
tongue2.gif
LOL! I hear what you a saying about cheap but there is a difference between that and less expensive The cost of the steel wire is low enough for me to use 9 wires and they all will be HOT.

I'll also add that strand of barbed at ground level and maybe hog ring 24" of woven wire laid flat to it outside to prevent diggers if that'a problem.

i took a peek at the website... the only problem i see with all strands of hotwire and NO actual fencing is.. i have personally SEEN dogs and coyotes jump through those fences without getting shocked.. or not shocked stongly enough to deter them from coming back.. my personal exper.
and i have also seen small turkeys and chickens get KILLED by the powerful shock... one of my young wild turkeys escaped his pen and before i could run and unplug the fencer ZZZZZAAAAPPPPP... dead turkey:(
and after playing in the water i had a goose reach out of his fence and touch the hotwire and get killed.. full grown goose.... we unpluged that section of fence... my dogs still think it is on, so it still "works"
i bet the fence would be great for horses and cows... not goats or pigs. i have tryed it,, did not work (for ME at least)
JMO.. if you do decide to get it.. let us know how it works for you..

Yes, I was reading about this while researching "pasturing poultry". Apparently some of the big "free range" farms are set up this way. I find it hard to believe the chickens don't go right through (well, I guess they do, but it is minimal). If you do this, keep us posted on how well it works out.

ETA here's the link to the website where I saw this.
http://www.davethefence.co.uk/PoultryFencing.html

Last edited:
The cost of the steel wire is low enough for me to use 9 wires and they all will be HOT.

With that many wires, you'd probably be better off to alternate hot and ground wires. That way you'll be carrying more current, and anything touching two wires will get a stronger shock.

Any "hot" wires above about two feet high, other than your top wire, really arent likely to get touched anyway. Most predators go under or over, and not through the middle​

Quote:
The wires are pretty close together and the studies show it works. However this is only my first line of defense.
smile.png

I don't think birds should get killed by electric fence if they are set up correctly.

Last edited:
Quote:
With that many wires, you'd probably be better off to alternate hot and ground wires. That way you'll be carrying more current, and anything touching two wires will get a stronger shock.

Any "hot" wires above about two feet high, other than your top wire, really arent likely to get touched anyway. Most predators go under or over, and not through the middle

I will set it up to be able to do that and swap the hot and ground as required.

Back
Top Bottom