Low temp first 4 days of incubation

KelseyBoxer

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Mar 23, 2014
South Jersey
Ok, my husband means well, but does some questionable things. Last fall he ordered an incubator from China. He wanted to get one with a digital read out. Its from a company called HHD. We tried 3 different hatches to incubate turkeys but none developed. The eggs were from a local auction so we doubted the quality. On Feb 11 we set 25 eggs from my chickens in this incubator. He said it was "rock solid" on holding temp. On Feb 15 I watched the temp "cycle" from 100 to 96.4 (used my digital stick thermometer). I candled and none had veins or any development. I poked the termometer into an egg and got a temp of 94! I fired up my LG and moved the eggs.Today is Feb 17. I see some development in a few eggs. I only looked at 4 of them. My big question is should I continue with these eggs? I had to cull a chick from my last hatch (crippled, in pain and not getting better). I really hated that whole experience. Any ideas if I will hatch deformed chicks, if any at all.

Thank you for the link. I believe I found my answer in the summary. It was point #3

"3. Avoid maintaining eggs in early stages of incubation for long periods of time in the
‘zone of disproportionate development’ (27 - 35°C/80.6 - 95°F). This will result in a
large number of deaths and abnormalities."

I think I should discard these eggs and start again. Any comments?

Tough call. If it were me I might keep those that seem farthest along to see what happens and cull the rest. But if you're traumatized by culling chicks, then do it now.

Culling is such a sad and emotional experience. I am not traumatized by it but would like to avoid it if possible. I am more upset at the thought of prolonged suffering. I am saving some eggs right now from my flock and I will discard any of these eggs that seem to be damaged. I have ameraucanas and the blue eggs are hard to see into. I also have brown egg layers and they are easier. I will attemp to do a staggered hatch. I do have another LG incubator I could use for lock down for the ealier hatch. That one does not have a fan. Do you think its a good idea to lock down in a still air? I have used it for drying the chicks in the past.

I set up my incubator but I have it running 24 hours but I am confused about the temperature an humidity Cuz I was reading the instructions and it says that it needs to be at fan forced incubator at 37.5 degrees c humidity 55% for the first 18days 60-65% for last 3 days but I am not sure if that the right temperature an humidity. I need a advice.thanks a lo:/t

I googled 37.5c and it comes out to 99.5 degrees farenheit. That is the ideal temp for a forced air incubator. I do a dry hatch, I only increase the humidity on day 18. That is the lock down day. You should monitor the air cell by drawing on the shell with a pencil when you candle the eggs. There is great info on this site about humidity and what the air cells should look like. Maybe someone can post the link. MOST IMPORTANT..do not trust the thermometer or hydrometer that came with the incubator! Get yourself a couple different thermometers and compare them against each other. Calibrate them according to the instructions. Its better safe than sorry. Too many people have had bad experiences when relying on just one thermometer.

LL

The incubator my husband bought does the same thing. I dont like it and I feel we lost the turkeys because of it. My cheap styrofoam Little Giant is pretty steady after a few adjustments and we have hatched several batches. I don't know why the digital unit cannot hold a steady temp. I have set up both of the incubators in the same room on the same shelf. Thats why I feel you need to monitor the additional thermometers and make sure the temp is steady and close to 99.5. Good luck. I am now thinking about selling the digital incubator, but I don't want anyone mad at me for selling a defective unit.

Back
Top Bottom