Lower protein for Cornish Rocks?

UluLaté

Songster
5 Years
May 7, 2018
First time raising meat birds.

We've lost 7 so far. Crows (grrrr) and coccidiosis.

They are 8 weeks and not as big as they should be, but only one with a leg issue, and even that one was very active.

I have fed them variable feed.

Two weeks of 18% organic with plenty of dried worms....Then cost/protein reality hit and we went with 20% TSC. We did two weeks of 24% and then today we went to 16%.

They get fed 2-3 times a day. Constant access to water. We put a little apple cider vinegar in their water which has reduced (hopefully eliminated) infection. Change the litter and take the run frequently. And a few times a week they get a field trip to the garden. After we lost one to crows (CROWS! Grrrr!), the boys now supervise their outings with their sling shots in hand.

So questions....

1. Can too low of protein be compensated for later for better weight gain? How big of a problem might this pose of we intend to go to 12 weeks before processing?

2. What should be fed when ready to finish? I've heard low protein for last several days....

3. How many days pre slaughter do you cease feeding? If any. With the "game hens" we've fed them to the last day. Can we do that with the chickens?

Thank you for any insight/advice. So far we are pleased. Only the cocci chx were sedentary we separated and they were on the mend....but crows took them as well (CROWS! Grrrr!). The rest have been good runners.

Non SEQUITOR: Anyone else notice how they move like a school of fish? Really interesting flock behavior.

The hatcheries have recommendations. Look at those for ideas.
1. if they are healthy, shouldn't be an issue to go to 12 weeks. Feed cost is an issue but so is a smaller than desired bird. Monitor the birds, each set of genetics can be different.
2. I fed mine 18% the whole time. Very lean birds too. Big, not a lot of fat.
3. I took mine off feed 12 hours before butcher. One still had poop. The ones before, I did 24 hours and they were empty (little grass they nibbled was all). Be sure to provide water at all times.

Thank you for making me think and consider other options. Cheers!

Protein adds meat. Carbs adds fat. We use alternative high protein supplemental feeds like brewery barley along with conventional grains to offset production costs, while maintaining a steady high protein diet.
Soaked alfalfa cubes are useful as well.

Paul,

What would be considered high protein? 24%? 20%? 18%?

Thank you for the excellent information!
I have 100 Cornish X and they are 10 days old. They are on an 18% chick starter until 3 or 4 weeks old. Then will be on a 17% protein grower/finisher until 10 weeks maybe 11 weeks. I'm hoping this avoids a lot of heart related issues which I believe people see in their chicks that are on 20-24% protein. Plus I will be feeding 12 hours on/ 12 hours off around 3 weeks old.

The hatcheries themselves advise how to feed them. A certain number of weeks on regular medicated chick starter (18%) and then onto meatbird or broiler, which is usually 20-22%.

If you want empty guts, withhold feed at least 12 hours, preferably 24.

Thank you Mosely and Northern Ontario.

We have been running this week and throwing food at the chicks and coming home late to shut them in. I was shocked at how plump they got this week.

My objective has been to raise healthy, strong meat birds. I am really pleased with the results. I was concerned about their weight, but they are plumping up nicely.

We intend to butcher the remaining 40 or so at 12 weeks which is quickly approaching.

First time raising meat birds.

We've lost 7 so far. Crows (grrrr) and coccidiosis.

They are 8 weeks and not as big as they should be, but only one with a leg issue, and even that one was very active.

I have fed them variable feed.

Two weeks of 18% organic with plenty of dried worms....Then cost/protein reality hit and we went with 20% TSC. We did two weeks of 24% and then today we went to 16%.

They get fed 2-3 times a day. Constant access to water. We put a little apple cider vinegar in their water which has reduced (hopefully eliminated) infection. Change the litter and take the run frequently. And a few times a week they get a field trip to the garden. After we lost one to crows (CROWS! Grrrr!), the boys now supervise their outings with their sling shots in hand.

So questions....

1. Can too low of protein be compensated for later for better weight gain? How big of a problem might this pose of we intend to go to 12 weeks before processing?

2. What should be fed when ready to finish? I've heard low protein for last several days....

3. How many days pre slaughter do you cease feeding? If any. With the "game hens" we've fed them to the last day. Can we do that with the chickens?

Thank you for any insight/advice. So far we are pleased. Only the cocci chx were sedentary we separated and they were on the mend....but crows took them as well (CROWS! Grrrr!). The rest have been good runners.

Non SEQUITOR: Anyone else notice how they move like a school of fish? Really interesting flock behavior.
Because of the way the feathers are on them, they might be bigger than you think. Weight them to see how big they are

Mine are 8 weeks +, huge birds, waddling when walking, but still active. I have noticed the fish like behavior, haha. I open the gate and sprinkle some feed, and out they go, then I can go in and fill the feed bunks with out them under foot. I have fed mine twice a day, about a gallon of wet feed each time for 15 birds.

Monday is the day. I am thinking they might be too big.

MRs K

Back
Top Bottom