Lowering humidity in incubators

AlleysChicks

Enabler
6 Years
Oct 10, 2016
Southern Ohio
Looking for ways to lower humidity. I have a diy incubator that I am running dry. Humidity has been in the 50s the whole time. There is a increase in air cell size but not like I want.

I have drilled more holes around the door and on top.

Looking for ways to lower humidity. I have a diy incubator that I am running dry. Humidity has been in the 50s the whole time. There is a increase in air cell size but not like I want.

I have drilled more holes around the door and on top.
Can you post pics of your setup? How are you/ what are you using for humidity, (dish, sponges, etc.)

Can you post pics of your setup? How are you/ what are you using for humidity, (dish, sponges, etc.)

This is my incubator.
20190531_104845.jpg

I don't add water during incubation, I run dry until lockdown. My humidity is usually between 25-30% during incubation.

Ps I know temps low. Its warming back up after the drilling AND I had a bulb blown.

I've not used this one in almost a year other than a few weeks back hatching a lonely broody egg. I usually use my foam gator but I loaned it to a teacher at work and it was returned to me moldy. So I have no backup.

This is my incubator.
View attachment 1796363
I don't add water during incubation, I run dry until lockdown. My humidity is usually between 25-30% during incubation.

Ps I know temps low. Its warming back up after the drilling AND I had a bulb blown.

I've not used this one in almost a year other than a few weeks back hatching a lonely broody egg. I usually use my foam gator but I loaned it to a teacher at work and it was returned to me moldy. So I have no backup.
Ok, I think I remember this one when you were building it.
Drilling some extra holes might help but if your 'dry incubating' than the only humidity your getting is from the ambient air....so the way to regulate that is to dry the air out by AC or a dehumidifier, the reverse would be true if you were trying to raise it.
Moving it to a room that is easier to regulate temperature and humidity wise is also an option.

Ok, I think I remember this one when you were building it.
Drilling some extra holes might help but if your 'dry incubating' than the only humidity your getting is from the ambient air....so the way to regulate that is to dry the air out by AC or a dehumidifier, the reverse would be true if you were trying to raise it.
Moving it to a room that is easier to regulate temperature and humidity wise is also an option.
I have a dehumidifier running in that room. I can't really move it unless it's to the garage. We've had nonstop rain and I think I'm fighting a losing battle

When you get ready to upgrade it, I'd switch heat source to a metallic heat element rather than a light bulb. Constant cycling shortens the life of an incandescent bulb to where it goes out at the most inopportune time.
You can Google it and find many options.

Hate to say this but yep, it's hard to regulate the humidity unless you have climate controlled room.
Sad thing is I've been hatching in the same place for almost 3 years. This is my first problem, my other incubator didn't have this problem. Crazy huh?

How about sticking it in a closet with the dehumidifier?
No closets downstairs. Only 3 upstairs and it won't fit in any of them even with clothes removed.
When you get ready to upgrade it, I'd switch heat source to a metallic heat element rather than a light bulb. Constant cycling shortens the life of an incandescent bulb to where it goes out at the most inopportune time.
That's why I had 2 running. I had hoped I'd catch it but with work and all the chores here I've been a bit neglectful of it.

I'll look it up. Won't be able to upgrade until winter.

Most bator's that use incandescent bulbs have two or more bulbs for that very reason, if one goes out the other will kick in and hopefully maintain the required temperature...but your right, metallic heating coils are better than incandescent bulbs.

Back
Top Bottom